cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer transfer photos from Canon 5D MarkII - freezes software

saoirsec
Apprentice

Having a bit of an issue - I'm working abroad quite rurally and either my laptop or my camera has decided not to let me transfer photos smoothly.

I plug in via USB (I'm in no situation to buy a card reader) and used to transfer everything that way, but now explorer and lightroom crash when I try to import, copy and paste or drag and drop. I have to turn my camera of and back on again, and try transfer a few at a time, which sometimes works, but it seems a bit random.

I'm only using a Lenova Yoga with 4GB of ram but it was fine up until a week ago.

I doubt its something wrong with my camera - but thought I'd check to see if anyone else has had this issue?

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If the computer can see the camera then it's unlikely to be an issue with the camera.  The more common problem we tend to run across is the computer software doesn't recognized a camera is attached.  If I understand your post correctly, your computer does recognize the camera is attached... but then crashes when trying to import the images from it.

Are you importing RAW images or JPEG images?

Does your internal hard drive have enough free space (is it crashing because your hard drive is full?)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

If the computer can see the camera then it's unlikely to be an issue with the camera.  The more common problem we tend to run across is the computer software doesn't recognized a camera is attached.  If I understand your post correctly, your computer does recognize the camera is attached... but then crashes when trying to import the images from it.

Are you importing RAW images or JPEG images?

Does your internal hard drive have enough free space (is it crashing because your hard drive is full?)

Thats reassuring, it would be easier to sort out a laptop problem than a camera issue. 

I'm importing raws + jpegs. Actually I believe the issue started around the same time I started shooting both...but I'm not sure why that would be a problem? Its really benificial for me to be shooting both types. 

And I do have enough space, I thought perhaps that was the issue but then I cleared my hardrive and still same problem.

Try taking a step back.  Try to transfer only RAW, or only JPEG files.  

How many files are attempting to transfer when it fails?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

saoirsec wrote:

Having a bit of an issue - I'm working abroad quite rurally and either my laptop or my camera has decided not to let me transfer photos smoothly.

I plug in via USB (I'm in no situation to buy a card reader) and used to transfer everything that way, but now explorer and lightroom crash when I try to import, copy and paste or drag and drop. I have to turn my camera of and back on again, and try transfer a few at a time, which sometimes works, but it seems a bit random.

I'm only using a Lenova Yoga with 4GB of ram but it was fine up until a week ago.

I doubt its something wrong with my camera - but thought I'd check to see if anyone else has had this issue?

Thank you.

What does "in no situation to buy a card reader" mean. Even really good card readers are relatively cheap. Have you priced them? And operating systems treat a card reader like just another removable disk (or disks, since most card readers have slots for various types of cards, and each is normally treated as a separate device).

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@saoirsec wrote:

Thank you.

What does "in no situation to buy a card reader" mean. Even really good card readers are relatively cheap. Have you priced them? And operating systems treat a card reader like just another removable disk (or disks, since most card readers have slots for various types of cards, and each is normally treated as a separate device).

As aforementioned, I'm working rurally.

Announcements