cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I fix a saltwater damaged camera?

Cherry347
Apprentice

I found my dad's old camera. He said that it was broken because seawater (saltwater) had fallen on the camera. I want to get the parts but can anyone tell me if I can fix it (restore it) please? It's a canon 600d. The circuit boards are not available online (I think) so I will take a photo of the circuit boards and make a PCB out of them. Please reply 🙏😢 I want to give the camera to him as a surprise. I don't have the battery (because my dad sold it) but I will buy it.

I don't want to trash the camera or buy a new one

9 REPLIES 9

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Boy, how much do you want to spend? You can find a used T3i on eBay and would be your best course of action.

Salt water is just about the worse thing besides running it over with a Freightliner semi that you can do to a camera.

Still wanting a repair try Midwest Camera Repair.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Saltwater damage is bad and insidious. Repair is next to impossible, because residual salt can remain and continue to corrode.

Your time and money would be better spent by buying a used 600D (if you are committed to giving him the same camera model.)

You can get an excellent condition rated camera with battery from Keh Camera:

Screenshot 2022-01-31 110641.jpg

I didn't check eBay; I am sure they are available there as well.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I can only do it from amazon, but my budget is INR 7000 (93.86 dollars in USD)

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

The only hope of repairing saltwater damage is the device must be IMMEDIATELY flushed with copious amounts of distilled water (which must also be de-ionized for high voltage equipment) and then properly and thoroughly dried. 

If done in this manner for gear that was NOT powered up when it got a salt bath, the chances of success are very high.  If the flushing wasn't done within 2 hours, the odds of success are EXTREMELY low.  And it isn't worth the trouble for an item without a very high actual value.

I have repaired electronics gear that got a salt bath but only when it was immediately available to be properly repaired.  If you wait even a day before flushing, it is likely far beyond any economically reasonable repair.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

it has been 5 years since that camera was wet

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"If done in this manner for gear that was NOT powered up when it got a salt bath, the chances of success are very high."

I would never rate a saltwater bath recovery as "very high". There is just too many things inside a camera that don't even like fresh water, distilled water or de-ionized water. I might say it is possible but still very low. The drying process and relube of the mech would need to be done correctly, too.

EB

I don't know, I was not there when it got wet. It has been 5 years already

I am guessing, maybe incorrectly, that the reason your father hasn’t used it in five years is that he tried using it after it got wet and it didn’t work. 
I wouldn’t throw good money after bad by purchasing a new battery but perhaps you know someone that gas a similar camera and you could try their battery. Or a local camera club or camera store with a demo camera that has a battery. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Even a salt water splash on the controls is probably a fatal accident. Especially if left for 5+ years. The T3i is not sealed so salt water can get inside.

Have you actually tried it to see if it is operative. You never know you might get lucky.  A battery isn't too expensive and if you do buy a used T3i for a replacement the extra battery will be nice to have.

EB
Announcements