cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera wont Focus

Stephy
Apprentice

I have the Canon EOS Rebel T100 with the EFS 18 - 55mm Lense, I bought this Camera a few months ago and have only used it a handful of times. The lasttime I tried using it, I couldnt get it to focus in AF or MF, not that there is a way to really focus it on manual focus. I figured it might have been because it needed cleaned, but I tried cleaning it and making sure it was clean but it still does not focus, and when in AF it wont let me take a picture.

6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Here is what you do. Reset your camera. Menu, tools, clear all settings and all custom setting, too.

Now set the camera to "P" mode. Set ISO to 200. AWB or daylight WB. Set the AF system to One shot, not Ai-servo <---this is important never set to Ai-servo for testing. Now go outside on a nice day and shoot general stuff. Make sure you have some vertical lines in the shoots.  I.E., a fence or trees or buildings, etc. If the camera/lens combo works, it works. If it doesn't most likely you have a faulty lens. Simple!

"I figured it might have been because it needed cleaned, ..."

Cleaning the lens contacts rarely to never works or even helps.  And, you can do more damage than good doing it. Of course we expect you have a known good SD card and a fully charged battery. Right?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I dont see a way to clear the settings or am I ment to go in and do them all by hand?
Yes I have fully charged battery, its just weird one day it was working and then the next day it wasnt working. Same with the SD Card its a good one only been used a few times, i bought it the same time I bought my camera.

Page 192 of your manual. 

https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/1/0300029791/01/eos-rebelt100-3000d-im-en.pdf#page192

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"I dont see a way to clear the settings ..."

Go into your Menus, Tools, Clear all settings and Clear all custom settings. My test will tell you if you have a problem or you have a misplaced setting. This is a simple test so do it to be sure.

It is very easy to set something without realizing it. Then it is difficult to track it down especially when you don't know what you are looking for because you didn't intentionally set it in the first place. This is a simple test so do but do it exactly as I have laid it out.

EB

Kaylin
Apprentice

@PrepaidGiftBalance wrote:

I have the Canon EOS Rebel T100 with the EFS 18 - 55mm Lense, I bought this Camera a few months ago and have only used it a handful of times. The lasttime I tried using it, I couldnt get it to focus in AF or MF, not that there is a way to really focus it on manual focus. I figured it might have been because it needed cleaned, but I tried cleaning it and making sure it was clean but it still does not focus, and when in AF it wont let me take a picture.

So, i got this on my a5 2016 its a mechanical issue in the focussing motor that can be temporarily fixed by shaking or rebooting. I am currently trying to get a replacement for that one.

"... on my a5 2016 ..."

What is this?

"... its a mechanical issue in the focussing motor that can be temporarily fixed by shaking ..."

Smiley Surprised

EB
Announcements