cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera recommendations for automotive photography

GustavML
Apprentice

Hi, i am interested in getting a camera for automotive photography, I have seen some amazing cameras like the 5D mark iv or the 5DsR, but do not know what to choose, mainly I am wanting a 5D series the most, standing between those 6, but if there is any other that are good I wouldn’t mind one of you telling me, these photos are going firstly on instagram, nothing else for now😅🙂

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What is your budget?

The 5 series are amazing cameras, but they are being supplanted by the mirrorless R series. I would seriously look at an R before investing in a DSLR.

Around 14-1500$ with a lens, I’m not looking for a R series camera for now, I just need something to start with, would like a camera that has the Ef mount so that I can borrow from friends and family

Hi Gustav and welcome to the forum;

Thank you for clarifying your budget, that makes it clearer for us to offer options. So far you have not mentioned video, so can one assume that is not a requirement?
When you say "Instagram and nothing else for now" what are your longer-term intentions?  Investing in a camera system should be considered in the long-term one.  If you eventually want to produce, say, large detailed prints for selling, that has to be considered within the platform itself.

If you intend to post to Instagram, the resolution limits of that platform demand significant reduction in image size, especially for something like the 30MP sensor on the 5DIV, or 52MP of the 5DsR.  You are throwing away a lot of data to post there.  When you say your friends have EF lenses, can you give us an idea of what those are, especially if there any EF-S lenses: we need exact specs: e.g. EF 17-40L USM.  This helps us to eliminate those lenses as potential purchases

Tronhard_0-1720721176954.jpeg

When you say "automotive photography" do you mean relatively static and close-up images at car shows, or vehicles at speed and some distance racing?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I have just done some research, and if you are living in the USA, then a refurbished FF camera, such as the 5DIV or 5DsR, body alone, will come in well over your $1500 budget. However, since you placed the dollar sign after the value, I wonder if you are in Europe somewhere?  That could be significant.  You can only buy what you can afford.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks Trevor! Actually I’m from Norway, I was thinking about getting one so I can film video too like an r7 or something, tou can check out my instagram for more details about photos and stuff, if you find something you can put it on a 0,8 multiplier for the price of it( plus from dollar to nok)

My instagram is Gus.tav.ml( forgot it😅🙂)

click here to view the gallery
Announcements