cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera autofocus but won’t shoot

Gonzalodqa
Apprentice

Hi guys I’m new to the group and I’m not sure this ishe right place to post this.

i have a cannon eos and lately I’m having some problems with the camera.

what happens is that I aim at something I would like to shoot a picture the camera will focus the object but it won’t shoot. It will focus but not give me the red light blip on the reticule telling me that it’s ready.

is it a problem of my camera, lens or both? 

Mis there a way to fix it? 

Thank you very much for your input

10 REPLIES 10

Danny

Hi, Gonzalodqa!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon EOS camera model you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, search our knowledge base or contact our US-based technical support team at http://canon.us/SupportCF

Thanks and have a great day!

@Gonzalodqa wrote:

Hi guys I’m new to the group and I’m not sure this ishe right place to post this.

i have a cannon eos and lately I’m having some problems with the camera.

what happens is that I aim at something I would like to shoot a picture the camera will focus the object but it won’t shoot. It will focus but not give me the red light blip on the reticule telling me that it’s ready.

is it a problem of my camera, lens or both? 

Mis there a way to fix it? 

Thank you very much for your input

That can happen if the camera is closer to the subject than the lens's minimum focusing distance or if the camera is unable to focus because of insufficient light.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Gonzalodqa
Apprentice
Sorry
My camera is a eos rebel t3 is a couple of years old and the problem is that the Lens will autofocus and it will do it but the camera won’t shoot. No matter how far away I’m from the object or if it’s a sunny day. That happens (less often)even if I try to take a picture using the 18mm setting of a landscape.
The Lens came with the camera it’s a 18-55 mm
Hope this helps

Will it shoot when the lens is set to manual focus?

Gonzalodqa
Apprentice
Yes it will shoot in manual focus

@Gonzalodqa wrote:
Yes it will shoot in manual focus

Then I stand by my previous comment. You may be hearing the camera trying to focus but not succeeding.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

What are the exposure settings?  What shooting mode are you using?

If the camera cannot take a photograph in Green [A] mode, then there could be something wrong with the camera body.  If the camera can shoot with the lens set to MF, then you are most likely experiencing a settings issue, or shooting conditions issue.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Gonzalodqa
Apprentice
I was using it in auto mode

@Gonzalodqa wrote:
I was using it in auto mode

Then you are likely suffering from “operator error”.  The camera has limitations on what it can focus on, and how.

Contact Canon Support for the best advice.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements