cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Upgrade Suggestion from EOS 2000D

Sanal7523
Contributor

Hi,

Currently am using canon 2000 D and i have kit lens, 50mm and 75 - 300 mm lenses. Now i would like to upgrade my camera to a better one ( preferably touch screen) in which i can use all my current lenses. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi again and thanks for your response.  I did note your comment about keeping your existing optics, I hope you noted mine about the quality of the 75-300 lens.  Remember, the quality of an image is arguably more depending on the lens than the camera.
That said, you have indicated a budget of $550.  Sadly, I am not in the USA (I'm in New Zealand) so it's not really going to be appropriate for me to be too specific on price - however since you have identified these cameras by their XXXD names, instead of Rebel or SL names, I wonder if you too are based outside North America. 

As you indicate a preference between the 250D and 850D, let's unpack that a bit in the context of your subject preferences, which I understand are portraits, landscapes, street and sports.  This is a very wide range, but since you want to keep the current lenses you will basically get much the same optical performance, the difference being in the convenience of having the articulated screen and a better sensor which both share.
Side by Side Comparison Canon EOS Rebel T8i (EOS 850D) vs. Canon EOS Rebel SL3: Digital Photography ...

The two camera are in many respects almost identical, the main difference being the 850D has a faster frame rate 7.5fps compared to the 250D at 5fps and you may find this advantageous for sport shooting.  It is also slightly larger than the 250D, which may or may not be significant for you.
I suspect your budget will be stretched to get either of these new, so you may have to look at a used or refurbished unit.  In that case your location becomes significant.  I looked on the Canon US website and don't see the either the 250D(SL3) or 850D (T8i)  listed as new, but the refurbished site does offer an SL3 for $599.99:
Shop Canon Refurbished EOS Rebel SL3 EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens  so availability might actually be the deciding factor. 

I do note that this offering includes an EF-S 18-55 IS STM lens, which you seem to suggest you have - although there are some variations in the kit contents.  That said, unless your current EOS 2000 has the STM version of the 18-55, then the lens on offer will be an improvement especially in terms of focusing speed.

One of the challenges is that Canon are winding down their production and sale of DSLR cameras in favour of the R-series Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras (MILCs), so offerings are becoming more and more sparse.

I hope that is of some assistance to you.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

rs-eos
Elite

What's your budget?

I would recommend moving to Canon's R-series line.  But do note that to make use of your existing EF or EF-S lenses, you woul need a Canon EF to RF adapter (around $130).  If any of your lenses are not Canon lenses (i.e. third-party), there's no guarantee that they'll work.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Sanal7523
Contributor

My budget will be $550. All the lenses are canon made. Could you please suggest out of 250 D & 850 D which one will be better ?. I think my current lenses will work in both these options right ?

@Sanal7523 wrote:

My budget will be $550. All the lenses are canon made. Could you please suggest out of 250 D & 850 D which one will be better ?. I think my current lenses will work in both these options right ?

Is that US dollars?  

With a budget that small a new camera could be more of a replacement than a technological upgrade.  Everything in that budget range targets an “absolute beginner”, and they all feature similar performance and camera buttons and controls.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

To really give you meaningful information, we need a bit more information.  Can you please consider the following article that I present to help you consider your needs, so we can suggest camera solutions.  Please note that the budget should include any lenses - TBH, the 75-300 is not going to port well across to a very modern camera.
Buying Camera Gear.docx  Please respond with as full answers as possible and it will help us to help you!
Even though you say you want to use your current lenses please just let us know what subjects you take.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi,

Thanks for the helping hand, First of all, my budget includes the camera body since i have 3 types of lenses which am using (mentioned above) and i would like to go with the same lenses considering my captures.

I prefer portraits, landscapes, street photography and sports photography. Currently with my 2000 D am not able to see the screen while taking landscapes because my current camera have fixed screen (can't tilt the screen).

Hi again and thanks for your response.  I did note your comment about keeping your existing optics, I hope you noted mine about the quality of the 75-300 lens.  Remember, the quality of an image is arguably more depending on the lens than the camera.
That said, you have indicated a budget of $550.  Sadly, I am not in the USA (I'm in New Zealand) so it's not really going to be appropriate for me to be too specific on price - however since you have identified these cameras by their XXXD names, instead of Rebel or SL names, I wonder if you too are based outside North America. 

As you indicate a preference between the 250D and 850D, let's unpack that a bit in the context of your subject preferences, which I understand are portraits, landscapes, street and sports.  This is a very wide range, but since you want to keep the current lenses you will basically get much the same optical performance, the difference being in the convenience of having the articulated screen and a better sensor which both share.
Side by Side Comparison Canon EOS Rebel T8i (EOS 850D) vs. Canon EOS Rebel SL3: Digital Photography ...

The two camera are in many respects almost identical, the main difference being the 850D has a faster frame rate 7.5fps compared to the 250D at 5fps and you may find this advantageous for sport shooting.  It is also slightly larger than the 250D, which may or may not be significant for you.
I suspect your budget will be stretched to get either of these new, so you may have to look at a used or refurbished unit.  In that case your location becomes significant.  I looked on the Canon US website and don't see the either the 250D(SL3) or 850D (T8i)  listed as new, but the refurbished site does offer an SL3 for $599.99:
Shop Canon Refurbished EOS Rebel SL3 EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens  so availability might actually be the deciding factor. 

I do note that this offering includes an EF-S 18-55 IS STM lens, which you seem to suggest you have - although there are some variations in the kit contents.  That said, unless your current EOS 2000 has the STM version of the 18-55, then the lens on offer will be an improvement especially in terms of focusing speed.

One of the challenges is that Canon are winding down their production and sale of DSLR cameras in favour of the R-series Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras (MILCs), so offerings are becoming more and more sparse.

I hope that is of some assistance to you.

cheers, TREVOR

Sanal7523
Contributor

Hi,

Actually now am staying in UAE that's why am not familiar with Rebel or SL names. Anyway thank you very much for your guidance and support.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The short version of all that is, save up a bit longer so you can buy a true upgrade. You probably need to double your budget. Frankly bottom line is your lenses are not worth saving for any upgraded camera in the R series where you need to be.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements