cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Recommendations Please

Wes66
Contributor

Hello, so I’m hearing recommendations for my first “real” DSLR camera. First, the canon, EOST7/2000 D or, the Nikon, 5300 used in mint condition. As I look at the various comparisons, it sounds as though the Nikon d5300 is a more advantageous option. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

zakslm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wes66,

When I first seriously considered getting a DSLR, I considered both the cameras that you mention.  The decision was between a new T7 and a refurbished Nikon D5300.  I was coming back to photography after a long hiatus having owned Canon film cameras/equipment in the past including an EOS film camera, EF lenses and a Canon speedlite.  My familiarity with Canon EOS cameras made my decision easier.  

Another factor that swayed me was that it confused me as to which Nikon lenses would work and autofocus on the D5300.  As I recall, I thought that some lenses mount and autofocus on the D5300, some would mount but not autofocus and some could not be mounted at all or required an adapters to mount and would or would not autofocus.  I knew that any Canon EF or EF-S lens works well on the T7 without an adapter and that was a big factor in my decision.  

Also, I knew I would want to acquire a small selection lenses and maybe a shoe mounted speedlite after getting acquainted with my new DSLR.  I compared prices of a few lenses and speedlites that I likely would be interested in buying in the future either as new, refurbished or used.  For whatever reason, comparable lenses from Canon appeared to cost less than the equivalent Nikon equipment and in most cases was rated more favorably than the Nikon equipment by reviews I found on the Internet and from user ratings at B&H and other sites.  However my familiarity with Canon EF lenses vs. my ignorance on Nikon AF lenses most likely impacted that research.

Ultimately, I hope you choose the right camera for you and hope you enjoy that camera as much as I enjoy mine.  

Good luck

View solution in original post

zakslm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wes66,

Thank you for the kind words.  

Please excuse me, but I'd like to offer the following additional advice to consider when purchasing a new, refurbished or used Canon or Nikon (or probably any other brand) camera/lens/accessory:

1. Purchase from an authorized USA dealer assuming you're in the USA.  There are sellers on Amazon Marketplace, Walmart Marketplace, eBay etc. that sell package deals including a camera and lens that are not covered by a USA warranty (gray market) and include in the package a bunch of accessories, like a flash, extra batteries, telephoto and wide-angle lenses that screw into the front of the camera lens, colored filters, tripod, etc.  Most of those additional items are either useless or of questionable quality.  When in doubt, ask if the camera and lens are covered by the manufacturer's USA warranty and includes a Canon USA or Nikon USA warranty card.  Here's a list of Canon USA's authorized dealers if you are curious.  https://www.usa.canon.com/content/dam/canon-assets/authorized-dealers/canon-ad-06-14-24.pdf
  2. With regard to a Canon Rebel T7 - if the camera is described or labeled as a “2000D” or “1500D” it may be essentially the same camera as the Rebel T7, but is a gray market camera intended for sale outside of the US and most likely not covered by a Canon USA warranty and Canon USA may choose not to service it in the event repair is needed.
  3. If you are considering the T7, you may wish to check out Canon's refurbished store.  Currently, the refurbished T7 is about $100 less than a new T7 and includes a 1-year Canon USA warranty.  https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/refurbished-eos-rebel-t7-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-ii-lens-kit.  They also show a refurbished R100 mirrorless kit that is even less, but I will leave it to others who are familiar with that camera and mirrorless cameras in general to advise you if you are interested in the R100 kit.  
  4. I've purchased lenses from Canon USA's refurbished store and been extremely satisfied to say the least.  Others on this forum recommend the refurbished store as well.  If you decide to buy a used camera/lenses/accessory choose a reputable seller such as KEH.com, B&H Photo or Adorama that offer warranties and return periods on most gear.  MPB.com and usedphotopro.com have also been mentioned on this forum as reputable used equipment dealers.  
  5. Finally, get a good quality full sized SD Card (not a micro-SD card and adapter) for your camera and buy that card from a reputable seller as well (again use caution when buying from an online marketplace - there are counterfeits out there).  A good size to consider is 32mb or 64mb.  Look for name brands like SanDisk, Lexar or other brands you recognize.  Format the card in the camera (per the steps in the instruction manual) when you insert a new card in the camera for the first time. 

Again, please excuse me if any of the above is too rudimentary or basic in any way but I thought I’d include it “just in case”.

Good luck!

Thank you! So much good advice from you and others. I think I am leaning towards a refurbished camera from USA canon, or a new camera. You’re all amazing, and I appreciate your input and time!

Perfect, thank you!!

15 REPLIES 15

zakslm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wes66,

Thank you for the kind words.  

Please excuse me, but I'd like to offer the following additional advice to consider when purchasing a new, refurbished or used Canon or Nikon (or probably any other brand) camera/lens/accessory:

1. Purchase from an authorized USA dealer assuming you're in the USA.  There are sellers on Amazon Marketplace, Walmart Marketplace, eBay etc. that sell package deals including a camera and lens that are not covered by a USA warranty (gray market) and include in the package a bunch of accessories, like a flash, extra batteries, telephoto and wide-angle lenses that screw into the front of the camera lens, colored filters, tripod, etc.  Most of those additional items are either useless or of questionable quality.  When in doubt, ask if the camera and lens are covered by the manufacturer's USA warranty and includes a Canon USA or Nikon USA warranty card.  Here's a list of Canon USA's authorized dealers if you are curious.  https://www.usa.canon.com/content/dam/canon-assets/authorized-dealers/canon-ad-06-14-24.pdf
  2. With regard to a Canon Rebel T7 - if the camera is described or labeled as a “2000D” or “1500D” it may be essentially the same camera as the Rebel T7, but is a gray market camera intended for sale outside of the US and most likely not covered by a Canon USA warranty and Canon USA may choose not to service it in the event repair is needed.
  3. If you are considering the T7, you may wish to check out Canon's refurbished store.  Currently, the refurbished T7 is about $100 less than a new T7 and includes a 1-year Canon USA warranty.  https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/refurbished-eos-rebel-t7-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-ii-lens-kit.  They also show a refurbished R100 mirrorless kit that is even less, but I will leave it to others who are familiar with that camera and mirrorless cameras in general to advise you if you are interested in the R100 kit.  
  4. I've purchased lenses from Canon USA's refurbished store and been extremely satisfied to say the least.  Others on this forum recommend the refurbished store as well.  If you decide to buy a used camera/lenses/accessory choose a reputable seller such as KEH.com, B&H Photo or Adorama that offer warranties and return periods on most gear.  MPB.com and usedphotopro.com have also been mentioned on this forum as reputable used equipment dealers.  
  5. Finally, get a good quality full sized SD Card (not a micro-SD card and adapter) for your camera and buy that card from a reputable seller as well (again use caution when buying from an online marketplace - there are counterfeits out there).  A good size to consider is 32mb or 64mb.  Look for name brands like SanDisk, Lexar or other brands you recognize.  Format the card in the camera (per the steps in the instruction manual) when you insert a new card in the camera for the first time. 

Again, please excuse me if any of the above is too rudimentary or basic in any way but I thought I’d include it “just in case”.

Good luck!

Wow, thank you so very much for this wonderful advice. I was actually looking at the 2000 D, as well as some eBay sites regarding re-furbish/open box/new. I will definitely take your advice on all the other items you have mentioned. I’m learning a lot! Again, so many thanks!

eBay is the riskiest place to buy a camera unless you are skilled at reading descriptions, return availability, learning who some of the reliable sellers are. 

UsedPhotoPro.com, one of the top used dealers, though, has an eBay presence, under the name Roberts Camera, their Indianapolis parent company. You can be confident in their listings, quality ratings, return policies, warranties. 

I also highly recommend MPB.com for same reasons.

Thank you! So much good advice from you and others. I think I am leaning towards a refurbished camera from USA canon, or a new camera. You’re all amazing, and I appreciate your input and time!

The used photo dealers will have more selection, older (but still lots of life in them) models than Canon has, and lower costs than Canon Refurb. Just sayin'.

Perfect, thank you!!

Announcements