cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CANON R5C NOT TAKING PHOTOS

NEWYORKGM
Contributor

I traveled to Brooklyn this past Labor Day to shoot videos and take pictures. To my surprise, when I tried to use the camera to take photos, it wouldn’t work, even with the self-timer set. What should I do? I own several different Canon cameras, but the R5C is proving to be quite frustrating.

6 REPLIES 6

JFG
Rising Star
Rising Star

NEWHYORKGM

Did it turn on?  Did you check your battery? 

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams

Yes, the battery is on. I'm even using a battery grip that allows me to add extra battery.

also, the apeture slider remains on F00 and when I press the shutter button, I see a flashing red camera icon on the monitor.

An aperture reading of "F00" suggests that the camera can not communicatre with the lens.  To help you more, we're going to need to know what lens you're using.  But basically:

• If the lens is a mechanical lens, with no electronic contacts, then you need to set the camera to take pictures with no lens attached.  There's a menu setting for this.
  • If the lens is a proper Canon RF lens, or an EF lens and you're using a correct adapter, then it seems that there's something wrong with the electronic contacts, or the lens is broken.
  • If the lens is an electronic lens for another make of camera -- like Nikon -- then there's no way it can work.

Also if you are using an EF lens with an adapter, make sure that the adapter is locked on securely to the camera body and that the lens is securely on the adapter.   Sometimes if one didnt click or wasnt tghten till it locked than you won't have  good connectivity and the camera won't work. 

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Since we aren't there to see what you have in hand, we need more information to help.  Great that you own several Canon bodies. 

For the time being, remove the battery grip.

What's installed or connected to the body?

Lens is? 

What brand, model and type(s) of storage media are installed?

Canon battery?

I assume the camera powers on since you mentioned self-timer mode.

What shooting mode are you in?

Describe the behavior for us.  What you observe.  Does the camera focus when the shutter is half-pressed?  "Wouldn't work" is not much to go on.  🤔  Help us, help you.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements