cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Busy Message only on SCN setting, Fine on FV. R10 camera, std 18-45mm lens

jminitials
Apprentice

Hi All,

Using my R10 yesterday I kept getting delays in taking photo's. Screen said Busy. Lasted 2-3secs, then took photo. Outside, good natural light. SCN setting on Groups of People. Lens is the standard 18-45mm that comes with the camera.

Got the same message/problem this evening with some indoor, non-flash photos.

However, if I change the setting to FV, which I have set for super fast images (I normally take sports images), there are no problems.

Battery is new and fully charged. Card is new; and has had no problems with high speed shooting action photography. And the only change I think I made was moving from SCN to FV.

Bit embarassing when you have to ask the subject to keep still and wait for the camera.

Anyone any ideas on what I am doing wrong please ?

Many thanks for your combined vast guidance.

JM

5 REPLIES 5

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Is the camera locking focus when indoors. Low light and low contrast will stop your camera from taking pictures if it can't lock focus. Sports Mode uses Servo AF meaning release priority. The camera will fire the shutter even if the subjects aren't in focus because there is no focus lock. One Shot is focus priority the camera will NOT take a picture unless it has locked focus. AI Focus is a hybrid mode that determines if the subjects are moving or not. I wouldn't recommend using this focus mode. Camera shake can cause the camera to switch to Servo AF if it detects movement.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thank you. I think I need to sit down and read that carefully with a cup of tea.

Surely if I am using the 'People' mode, outdoors in good light, the focus ought to be fine (it was very good when it did take a picture) ?

Much appreciated.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

This usually happens when the flash is charging. Before you group everyone, try to press the shutter half way down to get this out of the way.

The OP pointed out that they weren't using flash.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thanks to all. My LCS pointed out that I was using the setting that smooths out skin tones, and the delay was the camera processing time to amend each shot. It took much longer than I was expecting.

Regards all.

Announcements