cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bokeh looks like someone doodled over it with the liquify function in photoshop. R5 with rf 100-500

David-Epperly
Contributor

So I got a new r5 and an rf 100-500 in anticipation of going to Africa later this year. I am a professional photographer that normally used 5d mk4s for my day-to-day workflow.  

Long story short. Here is a picture I took this morning with the above r5 and rf 100-500 combo. Both have the latest firmware. 

The background looks like someone used a smudge tool or the liquify/push tool to push and pull the texture of the background around. I opened this photo in dpp4 and in the latest lightroom. Both programs show the same effect. 

I am attaching a small jpg that has only been slightly sharpened to show the effect, but the photo was taken as a cr3. image was taken at iso 800, 500mm, f9.0 1/1600 of a second. IBIS and lens stabilization are on. 

Obviously, this is not a great photo, but if it was it would be ruined by the effect taking place. has anyone else had this issue. I could upload the raw file if anyone knows a server that will host such a large file. I assume this site will not. 

Any ideas?  As of now I am a bit disappointed with the camera lens combo for being such a high-end rig,  I was selling my nature kit (nikon D810 and 150-600) to go all canon. I am unsure of that move now. There seem to be a few other issues with the camera that I'm not sure I can live with. 

Anyway, let me know if you have any ideas on what is causing this. 

Thanks

Davebokeh smudged-2149.jpg

16 REPLIES 16

@Waddizzle wrote:

Looks like you're using a UV or CPL filter, to me.  If so, switch to a B+W Nano Clear filter.  But, take test shots with no filter to see if removing any filter you might have been using makes any difference.

[EDIT] I have also seen a similar pattern when I had IS turned with the camera rig on a tripod, or when holding it very still.

Waddizzle.
I'm not using any filters and the camera is handheld
I was thinking it might be an IS problem but why would different areas look different, unless there was some software stabilization going on. That's not my understanding of how this setup works.

Thanks

Wojdarm
Contributor

I know this is a bit of an old thread but I have had a similar issue with this lens and combination.  Do you think there is a problem in the lens or is this just how it is?  Take a look at the branches and Bokeh in these two shots: Acadia_1.39.1.jpgBranch_1.33.1.jpg

How are you post processing?

Wojdarm
Contributor

This is a grab from Davinci resolve.  No processing done.  Looking over the images it really appears to be only occurring with the 100-500 lens.  Thanks for looking. 

In other words, have you tried DPP?

I haven't but not sure exactly how that would fix it?  And you mean Canon's software right? Thanks.

I don't know, as you see there were never any real resolution to this topic. But Canon should be the best at developing the RAW file.

Announcements