cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best place to buy a DSLR from?

litch
Apprentice

Hello. I'm a current owner of a Canon 7D that I bought second hand. Thats the only camera I've ever bought so I don't have experience dealing with retailers in this market.

I was curious, for those who have bought cameras and lenses from retailers, where you think has the best buying experience. I see places such as eBay, Fry's, B&H, and BestBuy selling the Canon 5Ds and I'm not sure where I should go if I want a good return policy, and customer service in case something is wrong with the camera or I need an exchange/return for any reason.

Please let me know what your opinions are of the current commercial camera retailers. Thank you for your help!

5 REPLIES 5

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Try these folks who have a great reputation. They sell new and used things.

www.bhphotovideo.com

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

There are a million choices...   If you are looking for a solid deal, buying Canon Refurbished gear (direct from Canon) is a great way to go.  Same warranty as new gear and a good savings.  

Canon Refurbished Products Information | Canon Online Store

You won't know its not new.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Always ensure to get your Canon gear directly from Canon or an authorized Canon dealer.  Click here for Canon's info page on authorized dealers.   Here's a direct link to the current PDF of all authorized dealers.

Personally, I have purchased from: Canon, B&H, Adorama and Crutchfield (latter three all authorized).  

For selling back of Canon equipment over the years, I've always used B&H.

When purchasing directly from Canon, I get the warranty from there.  Otherwise my warranties have been companies such as SquareTrade when ordering from say B&H.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The list of good places is huge. However, the list of bad places is also fairly substantial. Basically for the most part any store especially an on-line store that is advertising a price that seems very low and tempting is most assuredly not a good place. Any store that offers a big package of goodies along with the camera should also be avoided. Those are typically total junk.

Keep in mind there are good local stores too. Best Buy and Cosco, Micro Center come to mind as does any local cameras shop. Perhaps a local shop is a few dollars more but gives you hands on ability and service and info. Sometimes the lowest price is not the best deal.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Veum335
Contributor

@mymilestonecard wrote:

Hello. I'm a current owner of a Canon 7D that I bought second hand. Thats the only camera I've ever bought so I don't have experience dealing with retailers in this market.

I was curious, for those who have bought cameras and lenses from retailers, where you think has the best buying experience. I see places such as eBay, Fry's, B&H, and BestBuy selling the Canon 5Ds and I'm not sure where I should go if I want a good return policy, and customer service in case something is wrong with the camera or I need an exchange/return for any reason.

Please let me know what your opinions are of the current commercial camera retailers. Thank you for your help!

Looking for the same issue. Bumped into your thread. Thanks for creating it. Looking forward for solution.

Announcements