cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best film camera for someone who wants to dabble while using EF glass.

snott
Apprentice

Hi all!

Like the title says. The only film I’ve ever shot was in disposable cameras that I took to summer camp. We were never really a photographic family.

Now I’m an adult with spending money and agency and realize that while I love photography and have put a lot of time and money into it, I’ve never even loaded a roll of film into a camera.

I have some good EF glass and usually shoot with those adapted an R5. What would be a good film camera for someone who just wants to learn the ropes and dabble? I’m not predicting wanting to abandon digital or anything like that. Budget ~$500 or less, use case will be almost entirely outdoors, shooting between 16 and 70mm.

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The Canon EOS 1V if its something you've got to have and don't mind throwing away cash.  🤑

I grew up in the film era too.  Dial phones, Walkie-Talkies and CB's.  However, I don't miss loading film, shooting photos, wondering if I got the shot and taking it to be developed.

On an aside, if you want the look of vintage film, look at DxO FilmPack or the latest version of Lr.       

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"On an aside, if you want the look of vintage film, look at DxO FilmPack or the latest version of Lr."

Or, dare I say it, a Fuji digital camera.

Of course, there is nothing quite like developing your own film and looking at the results...

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"What would be a good film camera for someone who just wants to learn the ropes and dabble?"

Any film camera with EOS printed on it will use your EF lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

zakslm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I read your post and took a look at KEH.

They have some interesting choices, most of them appear to be within you budget.

1.JPG

Good luck!

[Commercial link removed per Community guidelines and replaced with screenshot to act as visual aid.]

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Get one of the newer EOS film cameras made after 1995 because they use the same ETTL flash technology as modern Canon digital cameras. 

If you need diopter control on the viewfinder, get the EOS-1, EOS A2, EOS 7, Rebel Ti,  or T2, as they all have built-in diopter adjustments.

Camera Hall - Film Cameras - EOS 

IMG_3288.jpeg

Mike Sowsun
click here to view the gallery
Announcements