cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R7 shutter mode for video

njjack
Contributor

I've searched the web and YouTube, the Canon documentation and there's one thing I have not found an answer for and that is: what shutter mode do I use on my R7 when shooting video? Fully mechanical, electronic first curtain or fully electronic? There's only the one place to make that change and that's in shooting menu 7 in still mode. What about video? Does it use that same mode or does the camera change mode automatically when in video mode?

Retired EE
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“ There's only the one place to make that change and that's in shooting menu 7 in still mode. What about video?

The fact that the shutter mode setting goes away in video is telling.  The camera uses the electronic shutter to capture video.  The maximum frame rate in stills mode when using the mechanical shutter is nowhere near fast enough for capturing video.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“ There's only the one place to make that change and that's in shooting menu 7 in still mode. What about video?

The fact that the shutter mode setting goes away in video is telling.  The camera uses the electronic shutter to capture video.  The maximum frame rate in stills mode when using the mechanical shutter is nowhere near fast enough for capturing video.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I didn't know what to think and thanks for the clarification. The fact that Canon mentions nothing about what shutter mode is used in video is what concerned. I hate to make assumptions about anything. Thanks for the answer.

Retired EE
Announcements