cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery grip for a 60D

PhotosbyMJ
Contributor

Who has experience with off-brand battery grips for the 60D?

Canon EOS 60D, 1100D
Canon EF 28mm f2.8, Sigma 30 f1.8 ART DC, Canon 'Nifty' 50 f1.8, Canon EF 85 f1.8 USM
Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Sigma 17-50 f2.8 EX DC OS USM, Sigma 50-150 f2.8 EX DC OS USM
Yongnuo YN 568EX II flashes with 622C Tranceivers
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I've had three different cameras that used Canon grips -- never had a problem.

I've not personally owned a 3rd party grip.  Every so often we get a post where someone has a problem with a camera which only manifests if their 3rd party grip is attached to the camera (often it doesn't even need to be powered on and in use... just having it connected can be enough) and the camera will start behaving in odd ways.  They remove the grip and it's back to normal.

While I don't own a 3rd party grip, I suspect these grips must actually work for most of the users because major retailers such as B&H Photo and Adorama sell them and I doubt they'd sell them if they had a high return rate.

If you'd like to get a 3rd party grip anyway... just be mindful that it can even effect the on-camera control buttons if the grip is having a problem.  If you have a problem, remove the grip entirely (don't just power it off) and re-test the camera.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I don't but I still don't advise it.

But I do have some knowledge of other off-brand grips.  If you get a good one OK but there are lots of faulty ones.

And even counterfeit ones.  Be safe and stick with Canon.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

cale_kat
Mentor

I am definitely in the other corner on off-brand grips. If you are not investing in equipment, making a purchase that you expect to be recovered in the sale of your photographic services, then you have every reason to try a grip made by a different manufacturer.

Just my $.02.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I've had three different cameras that used Canon grips -- never had a problem.

I've not personally owned a 3rd party grip.  Every so often we get a post where someone has a problem with a camera which only manifests if their 3rd party grip is attached to the camera (often it doesn't even need to be powered on and in use... just having it connected can be enough) and the camera will start behaving in odd ways.  They remove the grip and it's back to normal.

While I don't own a 3rd party grip, I suspect these grips must actually work for most of the users because major retailers such as B&H Photo and Adorama sell them and I doubt they'd sell them if they had a high return rate.

If you'd like to get a 3rd party grip anyway... just be mindful that it can even effect the on-camera control buttons if the grip is having a problem.  If you have a problem, remove the grip entirely (don't just power it off) and re-test the camera.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I ahve the 70D, and a Neewer brand grip. Other than the camera not reading the battery level right, it's a great grip for the price. I bought the grip on amazon for 45 i think, and then bought an extra charger w/ 2 batteries, both larger capacity in "maH" than the stock battery. My canon battery is my spare now, and shoot all day & all night w/ the pair in the grip. Canon grips would be ideal, but if not, I've been happy with my Neewer & Vivitar 2300 MaH (?) batteries. 

"...  the camera not reading the battery level right, ..."

It sounds like a pretty good rerasons to stick with genuine Canon accesssories.  Messed up camea functions and not reading batteries? Smiley Sad

EB

I see a person who has not exercised their right to get a properly functioning accessory. Not a reason to "stick with.."something.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...  the camera not reading the battery level right, ..."

It sounds like a pretty good rerasons to stick with genuine Canon accesssories.  Messed up camea functions and not reading batteries? Smiley Sad

PhotosbyMJ
Contributor
I've decided to go with the BG-E9 Canon grip. It fits, it works, no flaws, looks good. Yes I paid more but I'm confidant that I won't have any weird problems with thei grip. Thank you everyone for your input!!!
Canon EOS 60D, 1100D
Canon EF 28mm f2.8, Sigma 30 f1.8 ART DC, Canon 'Nifty' 50 f1.8, Canon EF 85 f1.8 USM
Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Sigma 17-50 f2.8 EX DC OS USM, Sigma 50-150 f2.8 EX DC OS USM
Yongnuo YN 568EX II flashes with 622C Tranceivers

Good choice. Smiley Very Happy

EB
Announcements