cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery eliminator

davetelling
Contributor

Another new Rebel T7 owner! Can anyone recommend a battery eliminator for this camera? I see a few on Amazon, but reviews are mixed. I'd like to know if anyone has actual experience with one of these.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You are getting excellent advice.  It is a shame that so much junk and even worse counterfeit junk is sold on Amazon but that is the way it is.  Amazon is convenient but the risk is too high for so much stuff and memory cards and batteries are at the top of the list for fakes.  Definitely don't risk expensive photographic gear with a poorly made power adapter that likely has no over-voltage protection and can easily fail in such a way that your camera would see several times the intended regulated voltage.

I just ordered another CF Express card from B&H (and those things come at a price that make you yell ouch) but I know that it will be the legitimate item.  The cylindrical lithium batteries in my Hensel strobe wizards haven't been replaced in a few years and I just placed an order for some from Mouser which is my electronics component supplier; more expensive than Amazon but I know that Mouser supplies fresh stock from the listed manufacturer which I might or might not get from Amazon.

And as Ernie noted, the "kits" from Amazon are a bad joke.  Several years ago I needed a medium size camera bag in a hurry and Amazon had the LowePro brand I use in stock for immediate shipment (B&H was backordered) and it came with a "free desk tripod" at no additional charge suitable for your DSLR and lens (it wasn't a LowePro product but an Amazon seller junk add on).  When this marvelous little tripod arrived I gave it to my daughter to try it for a video conference she was doing with her iPhone that afternoon.  While it was sitting there looking pretty with the iPhone attached to it, one of its little legs fell off and it fell over. I was so disappointed because I had planned to use that quality tripod with my 1DX II and EF 400 F2.8 later that day 🙂

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

John_
Authority

Stick to the Canon brand, AC Adapter Kit ACK-E10. They work as intended and are a bit cumbersome but if you need uninterrupted power for long periods it's the way to go.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@davetelling wrote:

Another new Rebel T7 owner! Can anyone recommend a battery eliminator for this camera? I see a few on Amazon, but reviews are mixed. I'd like to know if anyone has actual experience with one of these.

I agree with John.  Do not chance your expensive camera on a piece of junk from Amazon.  Stick to the Canon brand.  I also recommend NOT shopping for electronics gear on Amazon, too.  It is hard to distinguish between reputable dealers and those that are not.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Another new Rebel T7 owner!" Smiley Indifferent

Another avoid Amazon for this type gear.  Unless it is from Amazon itself as Amazon is an authorized Canon retailer.  Some of the 'stores' that sell on the Amazon site are not. However, never, never buy any of the packages or kits from Amazon or any store for that matter. They are mostly junk or worse.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for the advice, I know where to look now!

You are getting excellent advice.  It is a shame that so much junk and even worse counterfeit junk is sold on Amazon but that is the way it is.  Amazon is convenient but the risk is too high for so much stuff and memory cards and batteries are at the top of the list for fakes.  Definitely don't risk expensive photographic gear with a poorly made power adapter that likely has no over-voltage protection and can easily fail in such a way that your camera would see several times the intended regulated voltage.

I just ordered another CF Express card from B&H (and those things come at a price that make you yell ouch) but I know that it will be the legitimate item.  The cylindrical lithium batteries in my Hensel strobe wizards haven't been replaced in a few years and I just placed an order for some from Mouser which is my electronics component supplier; more expensive than Amazon but I know that Mouser supplies fresh stock from the listed manufacturer which I might or might not get from Amazon.

And as Ernie noted, the "kits" from Amazon are a bad joke.  Several years ago I needed a medium size camera bag in a hurry and Amazon had the LowePro brand I use in stock for immediate shipment (B&H was backordered) and it came with a "free desk tripod" at no additional charge suitable for your DSLR and lens (it wasn't a LowePro product but an Amazon seller junk add on).  When this marvelous little tripod arrived I gave it to my daughter to try it for a video conference she was doing with her iPhone that afternoon.  While it was sitting there looking pretty with the iPhone attached to it, one of its little legs fell off and it fell over. I was so disappointed because I had planned to use that quality tripod with my 1DX II and EF 400 F2.8 later that day 🙂

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

Rodger

Hello Roger,

I bought my kit from Costco, so far everything seems to be working well. I already have a very nice medium-duty Vivitar tripod that I have used for many years with a variety of still and video cameras, so that is covered. As a semi-retired EE, I have bought a variety of electronic parts from Amazon and eBay, and so far (knock on wood!) I have had very good success, but I always knwo that the quality 9especially switches) is not going to be the best. I also buy from Mouser and Digikey. I have been amazed at how quickly Digikey gets parts to me, especially since I typically am buying semiconductors, so I can use USPS first class shipping (which is the cheapest).

At any rate, this new camera has been fun to learn, I'll have more questions as time goes on.

Thanks again!

Announcements