cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Info 7Dii

Isac
Enthusiast

Hi All! I have the Canon 7D Mark 2 and I was out shooting at a local lake when I noticed my battery warning was flasing in the top display window. So I checked the Battery Info from the menu and it showed 8% remaining. I thought that was strange because the day before it was 68% (Shutter Count 286 and 3 green squares). I turned the camera off and back on and then the Battery Info showed 64% (Shutter Count 316 and 3 green squares). This has happened a few times. Has anyone else had this happen? I do use Duracell batteries (IMHO much better than Canon an 1/3rd the price) but I did not have this happen in my 7D.

Cheers.

8 REPLIES 8

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The issue you are describing sounds like a communication failure.  (Hopefully).  When you use a 3rd party battery, unexpected behavior can result.  I'm glad your duracell battery has provided a lower cost alternative for you, but this is the price you CAN pay when you use a non-OEM product.

I use both Canon and Watson batteries.  I've never had a problem like this.  Everyone here has different experiences / opinions about using 3rd party equipment.  Most however, will tell you to use OEM for the best performance, reliability and safety for your camera.

Best way to fix it.  Use a Canon battery, or at the very least another battery that might not exhibit the behavior.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

It is a very slight possibility that the Duracell battery is the problem but I doubt it, because I use Canon as well. I'll give the batteries and compartment a good clean and see what happens. I have never had issues with using Duracell batteries for over 7 years. They are very reliable highly recommended and I get more shots than Canon batteries so I won't be changing any time soon. Thanks for your reply. Cheers.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Go back to Canon brand battery. It is possible to damage the camera with the wrong battery. Perhaps small but not a risk I would take.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I won't be going back to Canon thanks. Duracell are fantastic batteries and better than Canon.

Swafford01254
Apprentice

@Isac wrote:

Hi All! I have the Canon 7D Mark 2 and I was out shooting at a local lake when I noticed my battery warning was flasing in the top display window. So I checked the Battery Info from the menu and it showed 8% remaining. I thought that was strange because the day before it was 68% (Shutter Count 286 and 3 green squares). I turned the camera off and back on and then the Battery Info showed 64% (Shutter Count 316 and 3 green squares). This has happened a few times. Has anyone else had this happen? I do use Duracell batteries (IMHO much better than Canon an 1/3rd the price) but I did not have this happen in my 7D.

Cheers.

Everyone here has different experiences / opinions about using 3rd party equipment.  Most however, will tell you to use OEM for the best performance, reliability and safety for your camera.

You're right, everyone has different opinions and stories about third party equipment, but I get better results with Duracell and used them for 7 years without issues. I know of guy who had failures with a canon battery so I guess nothing is perfect. I do honestly think that the camera system has a fault but as above I'll give the batteries and compartment a good clean and see what happens. Thanks.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I won't be going back to Canon thanks. Duracell are fantastic batteries and better than Canon."

Obliviously not or you wouldn't be asking a question here.

"... I get better results with Duracell and used them for 7 years without issues."

Again, obviously not and no issues until now!

It's your choice.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/Battery-Info-7Dii/m-p/361321#M85147

The issue wasn't with the Duracell batteries. I cleaned the battery contacts and battery compartment and all is good again. The original Canon battery that came with the camera is already showing only 2 bars in the recharge performance (2 years old) and after only a 38 shutter count is at 78% remaining capacity. The Duracell (7 years old) has 99% remaining capacity.
To me it's a no brainer. IMHO, because it has "Canon" on it - doesn't make it better. Duracell is a reputable company and its products are regarded as having excellent quality. I was actually hoping someone else may have had the same issue, but my problem must have been a one-off. Thanks for your replies - appreciated. Cheers.

Canon_v_Duracell.jpg

Announcements