Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Baby Photo and Video

nzakuto
Apprentice

Hi all, 

I've just join to this forum.

I own Canon 450D also known as Canon EOS Rebel XSi. I purchased this body years ago when video recording were just starting for DSLRs. 

I have a kit lens 18-55, 55-250 and 50mm 1.8f. I am aware the lenses I have are not the best quality. I really like 50mm though. I am hoping to purchase more lenses to take baby pictures, I also want to have a camera to record as well. 

Should I go ahead and purchase a lens like Tokina 11-16 2.8f?
I've read that a macro lens would be good for details, so 100mm for that. 
Lastly, I am considering to get a 35mm as well. 

I was hoping once I get a new lens, maybe I would upgrade my body to something which can record as well. Now, should I invest in few lenses and upgrade the body to record video as well or should I just get one lens and buy a camcorders?

Your guidance greatly appreciated. 
Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Should I go ahead and purchase a lens like Tokina 11-16 2.8f?" 

What you already have will do what you stated you want to do. Maybe not video but certainly stills. The Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8 Lens will add an ultra wide lens to your bag for sure.

"I would upgrade my body to something which can record as well."

This is what I would do, buy the 80D and the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  This is a top level combo where the Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8 Lens would fit nicely.  Complete disclosure, I don't recommend many Tokina lenses and I don't recommend the Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8 Lens. I only have one or two Tok's that I do recommend. Instead look at the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens.  It is best to keep your Canon all Canon.

""I have a kit lens 18-55, 55-250 and 50mm 1.8f."

Sell these to help fund the new purchase. If you get the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens you will never use the kit lens or 50mil again. You just won't. You might keep the 55-250 zoom, IMHO of course.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Should I go ahead and purchase a lens like Tokina 11-16 2.8f?" 

What you already have will do what you stated you want to do. Maybe not video but certainly stills. The Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8 Lens will add an ultra wide lens to your bag for sure.

"I would upgrade my body to something which can record as well."

This is what I would do, buy the 80D and the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  This is a top level combo where the Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8 Lens would fit nicely.  Complete disclosure, I don't recommend many Tokina lenses and I don't recommend the Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8 Lens. I only have one or two Tok's that I do recommend. Instead look at the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens.  It is best to keep your Canon all Canon.

""I have a kit lens 18-55, 55-250 and 50mm 1.8f."

Sell these to help fund the new purchase. If you get the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens you will never use the kit lens or 50mil again. You just won't. You might keep the 55-250 zoom, IMHO of course.

I agree with Ebiggs:

If you want to take video the 80D is much better - both in terms of quality and resolution, and you have sockets for a microphone and earphones, so you can get decent audio.   The 17-55 f2.8 is arguably the best EF-S lens around, and would certainly work well for what you want to do.  I can't comment on the Tokina - for Canon bodies I use Canon and Sigma lenses.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@nzakuto wrote:

Hi all, 

I've just join to this forum.

I own Canon 450D also known as Canon EOS Rebel XSi. I purchased this body years ago when video recording were just starting for DSLRs. 

I have a kit lens 18-55, 55-250 and 50mm 1.8f. I am aware the lenses I have are not the best quality. I really like 50mm though. I am hoping to purchase more lenses to take baby pictures, I also want to have a camera to record as well. 

Should I go ahead and purchase a lens like Tokina 11-16 2.8f?
I've read that a macro lens would be good for details, so 100mm for that. 
Lastly, I am considering to get a 35mm as well. 

I was hoping once I get a new lens, maybe I would upgrade my body to something which can record as well. Now, should I invest in few lenses and upgrade the body to record video as well or should I just get one lens and buy a camcorders?

Your guidance greatly appreciated. 
Thank you.

Not every great still lens is great for shooting video.  In fact, you should assume that most are not suitable until proven otherwise.  Some lenses have noisy apertures.  When you are shooting stills, you do not hear the aperture because it is usually drowned out by the shutter.  

The Canon lineup of EF-S STM zoom lenses are designed to be quiet when focusing, AND when adjusting their apertures.  Most casual video shooters use the built-in microphone in the DSLR.  The built-in microphones sit right next to the lens, so they will pick up the slightest noise that the lens may make.

A good Canon lens for shooting video is the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM.  It is every bit as quiet shooting video as an EF-S STM zoom, and it has a much wider aperture than the zooms.  Plus, it is a wide angle lens with image stabilization, which is not a very common combination.  This is also one of the sharpest lenses that Canon makes that I have used.

As for upgrading your DSLR or buying a camcorder, I cannot offer any advice.  I can point out the advantages each approach may have over the other.  Of course, the DSLR will give you much greater creative control, but the flexibility comes at a price.  A camcorder offers the simplicity of pointing and shooting.  Plus, you can record for much longer periods of time that what you can with a DSLR.  

Both types of cameras have their own set of headaches for getting the video out of the cameras.  If you want to watch a home movie, then it is easy as pie.  If you want to share the videos on social media, then that is where it can get complicated.  People find smart devices very easy and convenient to use for social media.  But, most smart devices do not have the video quality of a DSLR, or even an inexpensive camcorder.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements