cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically cleaning photos

Daisy
Apprentice

Does anyone out there know if there is a way of automatically cleaning photos with bad smear marks from a dirty sensor? I was hoping that there might be a method of creating dust delete data from some of thousands of images I took on a recent trip to Australia, and using these in Phortoshop CS4.

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Only DPP would understand any dust delete data and you have to create a special Dust delete Data file, it can't just figure it out from your images.

Photoshop has its own dust delete tool.

diverhank
Authority

@Daisy wrote:

Does anyone out there know if there is a way of automatically cleaning photos with bad smear marks from a dirty sensor? I was hoping that there might be a method of creating dust delete data from some of thousands of images I took on a recent trip to Australia, and using these in Phortoshop CS4.

I started photoshop using CS5 and now CS6 so not completely sure if CS4 would work the same.  Since these photos all have the same dirt spots, it might work if

1. you use action to record the steps you use to remove the spots (I use the patch tool, some people use the spot healing brush) for one picture.  Name and save the action.

2.  You can use either Photoshop or Bridge to do this.  I always use Bridge and select the Image Processor function.  Highlight all files you want run then

• Choose Tools > Photoshop > Image Processor (Bridge).

3. Within the Image Processor menu, there's an option called Set other processing options.  Select Runs a Photoshop action. Choose the action that you saved.

4. Choose save as jpg option if that's what you want

4. Click Run

Photoshop will start and automatically run the action and then save for each of the picture.  I've used this a lot for changing brightness and exposures except I haven't used it for removing spots.  I don't see why it wouldn't work.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Diverhank, Many thanks for that. Unfortunately CS4 doesn't have that option, so it looks as if I'll have to upgrade!

Which option? Actions have been part of Photoshop for a long time.

@Daisy wrote:
Diverhank, Many thanks for that. Unfortunately CS4 doesn't have that option, so it looks as if I'll have to upgrade!

Kvbarkley is right...CS4 should have this option.  The Action tab is usually hidden from default view and you need to find it.  Do an internet search to find how quickly enough.  I also did some search on batch processing for cs4 and it appears cs4 can do it also.

I would have searched for you and post them here but I'm not sure whether Canon allows it.  You can do google search and find instructions on how to do it.  There are a lot of good youtube videos on the topic.  I learned everything via youtube anyhow...

In the mean time, you should research on how to clean the sensor or how to do dust delete on the camera itself.  Even though I'm not very handy, I managed to clean my camera sensor successfully after searching for instructions, again via the internet :).  On the safe side, you can send the camera in to Canon for cleaning.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

@Daisy wrote:

Kvbarkley is right...CS4 should have this option.  The Action tab is usually hidden from default view and you need to find it.  Do an internet search to find how quickly enough.  I also did some search on batch processing for cs4 and it appears cs4 can do it also.

I would have searched for you and post them here but I'm not sure whether Canon allows it.  You can do google search and find instructions on how to do it.  There are a lot of good youtube videos on the topic.  I learned everything via youtube anyhow...

In the mean time, you should research on how to clean the sensor or how to do dust delete on the camera itself.  Even though I'm not very handy, I managed to clean my camera sensor successfully after searching for instructions, again via the internet :).  On the safe side, you can send the camera in to Canon for cleaning.

This gives me an excuse to proffer one of my favorite pieces of unsolicited advice to anyone planning an epic trip to a distant location: If you haven't had your camera cleaned recently and been very careful since, have it cleaned and inspected before your trip. Compared to what you're likely to spend on the trip, the cost of a professional cleaning falls into the category of roundoff error. And you'll spare yourself the distress that Daisy is experiencing now.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Daisy wrote:

Cleaning your sensor of most dust particles is actually pretty easy.  Do a web search for " Rocket Blower Sensor Cleaner ".

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... with bad smear marks from a dirty sensor?"

Hmmm?  Is it bad smear marks or dust spots?  Big difference on how to fix it.

BTW, you can not upgrade CS4.  You will have to go CC and it is a rental only proposition.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

BTW, Miss Daisy,

If PS can't fix your photos, it likely can't be done.  Sorry. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements