cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto mode...

rimshot
Contributor

I was just outside taking a pic in bright sunlight and my flash popped up.  At first I got an error because my finger was in the way of the flash.  It does this quite alot. I can't really use auto very much.  Is there something I can do to stop this? I'm real new at this SLR photography by the way. Thanks...  

7 REPLIES 7

Tiffany

Hi Rimshot,

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know what model camera you are using and the error message you are getting.

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team by phone or email.

Sorry. I was having trouble with my keyboard and did explain a little more in my first three trys to post. I have the basic EOS Rebel T5. Since I'm just starting this adventure I didn't want to spend too much.  I have about two years to go before retirement and wanted to learn alot before then and then move up to something better. I've been doing okay with the dial on P and don't really want to use auto too much but I'm wondering if there might be something wrong with my camera, although I'm pretty sure it's operator error.  Sometimes I try to use auto in the house and it just won't activate the shutter at all. I'm trying to learn in manaul so I can go out tonight and get some shots of the moon and have found alot of good advice here.  Thank you all....Bill

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you use Program instead of Auto flash won't actuate. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
The moon is really a daylight shot since it is reflected sunlight. Set your camera to Manual and set ISO to 100, Av to f/8 and Tv to 1/125 for a start. Use the center focus point and put moon dead center. I am out right now shooting. As the eclipse develops you will probably have to crank up the ISO.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I read up on how to shoot the blood moon for an hour and a half.  Charged the battery, cleaned the lens, drove five miles out of town where it's real dark, attached the camera to the tripod and the clouds rolled in. Hasn't rained here for four years and we can't see the moon because of clouds. Go figure. 

@rimshot wrote:

I read up on how to shoot the blood moon for an hour and a half.  Charged the battery, cleaned the lens, drove five miles out of town where it's real dark, attached the camera to the tripod and the clouds rolled in. Hasn't rained here for four years and we can't see the moon because of clouds. Go figure. 

Welcome to the world of astronomy.  I've been fighting that since I got into it.

It turns out, the moon produces so much light pollution that it (and planets) don't actually require dark skies.   Deep space objects (objects beyond our solar system) do benefit tremendously from dark skies.  But I would be willing to shoot the moon in the middle of a city.

incidentally...   I use flash when shooting on sunny days (depending on the subject) because it provides "fill lighting" to decrease harsh shadows.

I also had clouds for the lunar eclipse.  I feel your pain.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements