cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are the Camera-Specific Guide/Books Worth it?

Noonievut
Contributor

I just picked up a T5 and was thinking of getting a book such as "David Busch's Canon EOS Rebel T5/1200D Guide to Digital SLR Photography", is it worth it?

I went through the owners manual and it's clear, so I understand the basic functions.  I owned an SLR in the past but haven't been into photography for some time.  I'm familiar with the principles of photography that you pick up in general books (iso, exposure, shutter and apeture, etc.).  I'm interested in using the camera while hiking, for nature photography.  I would like to learn how to manipulate the settings to get the most out of the camera (understand what I can do, and then learn over time when to do so).  I'm also looking to grow my understanding of general nature/landscape photography and have been reading some of those books (not camera specific).

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Skirball
Authority

It depends on the person.  In my opinion, no.  But I'm a hands on type, and well versed in using an internet search engine.  Any information in that book can be found on the internet.  But some people prefer to have a book that lays out all the information in one place.

Edit:  I will add that if I was to get a book I probably wouldn't get one specific to a camera.  If I need to know something about my specific camera I can simply look at my owners manual.  Get a more general book, if you're going to get one.

hsbn
Whiz

No. It just explains your manual in a clearer way and some general info about photography. Go to Barn N Noble, they have it a ton of books like that. You can read other book about photography also. Then buy one that you think great.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

ScottyP
Authority
When I first got into DSLR's several years ago, I bought the "Dummies" guide for my exact Rebel. It helped a lot because the user manual assumed you know what the buttons do and you merely need to know where they are. The Dummies book gave explanations of the underlying photography concepts.

You sound like you are beyond that though.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Add me to the "no" list.  It is great to ask specific questions if you are unsure about something.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements