cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice appreciated! Error 9912 when trying to transfer photos from new M50 to Mac

DebbieOhi
Contributor

Hi all -- I recently bought an M50 for livestreaming; it works wonderfully that way (I use a USB cable), but I have also started taking some still photos and videos. With my old Canon Rebel XTi (and previous Canon DSLRs), I could just connect a cable and transfer quickly that way.

I want to do the same with the M50. I know I can transfer wirelessly, but transfer (esp videos) is sooooo slow, plus I can't livestream with wifi connection enabled.

However, when I try to use the same cable that works with my livestreaming, I get an error 9912 (see image):

M50-Error9912.png

I tried researching online and found others who had the same problem, and they seemed to solve it by replacing the cable or making sure to use an official Apple cable. I ordered a new cable but got the same error. I tried a white Apple cable but Image Capture didn't see the camera at ALL. I tried restarting the computer. I tried turning the camera on and off. I made sure the cable was plugged directly into my iMac.

Nothing seems to work.

ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED. I am not a photography newbie (have been using Canons for years, DSLRs and one-shots) and while I'm not a tech whiz, I know enough to feel like an idiot, asking this question.

Fingers crossed that someone out there might be able to help. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I would remove the memory card from the camera, and not put it back in again.  At least, not until you can recover your files.  My gut thinks your card could be corrupted.  So, remove the card and see if a SD card reader can read the files.

Of course, this comes with the recommendation to buy a new memory card to use in the camera, just to see if it happens again with a different card.  Be sure to buy a major name brand, memory card from a reputable vendor.  I would avoid Amazon due to the high amount of counterfeit memory cards and batteries being peddled to the unsuspecting. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I would remove the memory card from the camera, and not put it back in again.  At least, not until you can recover your files.  My gut thinks your card could be corrupted.  So, remove the card and see if a SD card reader can read the files.

Of course, this comes with the recommendation to buy a new memory card to use in the camera, just to see if it happens again with a different card.  Be sure to buy a major name brand, memory card from a reputable vendor.  I would avoid Amazon due to the high amount of counterfeit memory cards and batteries being peddled to the unsuspecting. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

THANK YOU so much for this advice, Waddizzle! I really appreciate it.

I do have an extra memory card, and I also have a SD card reader on order, so I'll be able to test the old card in it.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer,

Debbie

Darn.

Switched out the old card for the new card, took a couple of photos, still getting the same error. 😞

The new card was a SanDisk Ultra SDXC UHS-I Card 128 GB (I did order it off Amazon a few weeks ago).

I'm able to get the photos off via wireless connection, but would ideally love to use a cable for a faster transfer.

Debbie

I've been doing more research, and it sounds like most people seem to use card readers or wireless to get their photos off their Canon M50s into their computers. I look forward to getting my card reader! I just ordered a Kingston Digital USB 3.0 Portable Card Reader; I saw this advice elsewhere in the community, I think - if anyone knows of a better one, feel free to advise! Thanks,

Debbie

If you are going to ave a problem it is going to be with a Mac.  Do have a Windows machine to try the set up on?  It would tell you all is well or not but if it acts the same you might call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"SanDisk Ultra SDXC UHS-I Card 128 GB

My advice, unless you are a video shooter is to buy several smaller SD cards.  Under 32GB and 16GB is what I like best. This forces you to change the SD cards often so you don;t have all your photos on just one huge SD card.  So, if there is a problem with one, you don't lose everything.

"I did order it off Amazon..."

As the advice above, I don't recommend Amazon for batteries or SD cards, among other things but certainly these two items. Unless it says sold and shipped by Amazon.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks so much for your advice, ebiggs1. I do use my M50 mainly for video, but your advice about having several SD cards instead of just one is great. I also discovered (duh) that my iMac has a built-in card reader on the back, and I also just bought an SD card reader.

Thanks again!

D

Announcements