cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice & camera recos for shooting in low light - night games for field hockey / football

smy92405
Apprentice

Hello all!

I have just started learning how to use the manual settings and I have been getting some great shots with my 70-200mm lens but once it's nighttime, those pictures are either way too dark or blurry.  I can't seem to fix the issue but I do have a much older camera - it's a Canon Rebel xs.  I am now looking at the Canon R6 Mark II.  Do you think I will be able to get the photos I need in low light settings with this camera? 

10 REPLIES 10

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

What settings are you using? Manual or preset? ISO? Aperture? Lens speed?

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

I've had it in manual, Shutter 1/800, f2.8, and kept messing with the ISO, going higher trying to get it right.  The images were dark and blurred. When I switched to sports mode, I was at least able to get more light and the images were more crisp. 

smy92405,

Trying to capture movement in low-light is one of the hardest things to do I think.

It seems you have 1 of 5 choices:

1) You need more light, Try to shoot things when they are well lit.

2) You can slow your shutter speed way down. 1/800 is not enough time to let enough enough light in when you are in a low-light situation. Of course, when you slow your shutter speed down way low, you are going to get blurriness if there is any movement.

3) Try to shoot things or people when they are motionless or standing still.

4) You can try boosting your ISO, which is what you have been doing.

5) You can try spot metering instead of evaluative metering. Meter off one small subject in the center part of your frame, and let the surrounding area be over or under exposed.

Steve Thomas

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

John has started with the right questions.  In addition, is your 70-200 f4 or f2.8?  (there is only one stop difference between them) but coupled with an older camera the outcomes can be very different.

The Rebel XS is pretty dated (16 yrs old) as you know and doesn't have the processing power or ISO performance of a more modern camera.  Even with a fast lens, its capabilities in low light are no match for a newer body.     

The R6II is a nice body, with ISO performance, AF and subject tracking which is leaps and bounds ahead of the Rebel XS.  Honestly it will blow you away.  You will notice a marked improvement in low light, focus speed and subject tracking.  Will it work in every shooting situation, no.  I am not trying to discourage you in any way from the upgrade, (it will be fantastic).  I just don't want to give you false expectations.  Buy this and your problems will be 100% solved.  Night time sports photography can be challenging.  Your camera as well as the lens you are using can be a determining factor.  I am going to ask our sports photography expert to offer his thoughts on your question.  The R6II is on sale currently.  It was also recently offered in the refurbished store.  Great deal on a great camera.

EOS R6 Mark II Body (canon.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you! I have the Canon 70-200mm F2.8 model.  I am picking up the new camera today - it's a birthday gift from my husband so I am really eager to try it out. 

What settings would you suggest for fast-paced sports games under the lights? It is definitely challenging, for sure.  I am mainly photographing field hockey, football & softball, both day & night games.

wq9nsc
Elite
Elite

The newer camera will make a world of difference because sensor performance has advanced so much since your Rebel XS was released.

I shoot a lot of low light sports, go to manual exposure mode with the aperture wide open and shutter speed set to 1/1,000 and set ISO to auto and you should get good results from field hockey and football.

I am just starting to process photos this morning from football last night.  I use a pair of 1DX III bodies with EF 70-200 f2.8 and EF 400 f2.8 glass and always shoot in manual mode.

Below are a couple I just processed which were captured at ISO 16,000 with no additional NR beyond what DPP applies based upon the body.

And on edit, I used to switch to my secondary settings of slower shutter speed to decrease the ISO for non-action shots but with modern sensors I rarely bother to do this during a game even though the 1DX III will switch between two sets with the push of a single button.  This last photo is in the endzone @ ISO 12,800 after a TD.

Rodger

AS0I8725.jpgAS0I8737.jpg

A48I2448.JPG

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Wow, those are great shots!!  Thank you all, this is really helpful.  I am very excited to try it out on Tuesday! 

Thank you and you will really enjoy having a new camera!!!

And on edit, I forgot the most important sports advice:  LOCATION!!!

I prefer plays that come to my side of the field but it doesn't always work that way.  In this case, Canon's EF 400 f2.8 did a good job of capturing a play down the field on the far sidelines.  Captured with 1DX III @ f2.8, 1/1,000, ISO 12,800.

Rodger

AS0I8829.jpg

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Thanks for jumping in Rodger!!

@smy92405.  Don't forget you will need a Canon EF to EOS R adapter to use your lens on the new body.  We will be excited to see some of your images.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements