cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AE 1 advice needed

Tmohs
Apprentice

My father passed away last year and left me his Canon AE 1 along with a multitude of lenses and accessories. I am overwhelmed. I have debated on selling it - but have no clue how to even begin to know it's value. I've researched converting it to digital, but have found that it's great for distance shots but you loose capability of close-up shots. Now I'm looking to purchase a new digital camera (Canon EOS Rebel T7) and considering an adapter to try to make use of the lenses from the AE 1. I mainly use my camera for vacation and family pictures. Any advice or thoughts would be welcome. 

11 REPLIES 11

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Tmohs,

All good advice here.  I sell stuff on Craigslist and Offer Up quite a bit.  I haven't used KEH or the others myself, but I would if I had your gear.  They have the ability to reach a broader audience.  Today I'm selling a lens to a private party.  Its newer.  I'm going to get more than what I could get for it trading it in, but less than what it might cost to buy it used.  You just have to be willing to let stuff go.  Its an EF mount lens and has been sitting in a case for nearly a year.  I'm not going to use it again.  While understanding value is important, holding out for the highest possible offer can in some cases be detrimental.  What many people fail to do is place value on their time.  My point is this.  Don't let a couple of hundred dollars get in the way of selling.  Even $500 for bigger ticket items.  If it's a fair price, let it go.  I'm turning this lens sale into stuff I want and will use frequently.  This is better than it sitting unused, taking up space and losing value.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

I am sorry for your loss.

I have a 45 year old Minolta lens from a film camera that has sentimental value to me. I purchased an Urth brand Minolta to Canon RF adapter so that I can use it on a modern Canon mirrorless camera. If you got the Canon RF100 instead of the Rebel, then you could do something similar. With the RF mount you could get infinity focus while with the Rebel, you would not. This would likely only work for a lens that is completely manual with no electronics in the lens.

The old lens will not likely be as convenient or easy to use as a modern lens. Some of the old lenses might be treasures even if they do not bring a high price.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/
Announcements