cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

90D Shutter count

Mathiman58
Apprentice

Hi I'm brand new to this and not very Tech Savvy so please excuse my ignorance. I own a Canon 90D and I am finding it impossible to get the shutter count from it? I have tried every online solution, watched every Youtube video, tried every online Shutter count application and downloaded every Canon software available. I was reliably informed that the EOS Utility would do the trick but the download I did does not have the Utility 3 option which, apparently is the one I need? I have tried the Canon connect app on my phone but the shutter count info doesn't show? I have tried to get it via Lightroom and Photoshop but that doesn't work either? When I download the Canon Digital Info software it wont recognise my camera? I am very frustrated and confused and am almost at the point of giving up on Canon for another brand. Can someone please help me? Remember to keep your reply simple, I'm not very bright it seems? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Perhaps if I explain the process differently...  This is the best attempt you have to obtain a value without going to Canon.

1. Take a photo.
  2. Use the button with the blue arrow on it to view the image.  When that is displayed you should see one of the screens in the image below. 
  3. If the shutter count (as indicated by the red arrow on the diagram) does not show, then press the Info button (see image below) on the back of the camera until it does.  90D back.jpg
    The last four digits in that sequence are likely your shutter count.   If it is greater than the number when you first bought the camera it is likely correct.  For further assurance, if you still have a photo you took when you first got the camera, check that the number of the file name is smaller than the one on your screen.

Info Display.png

It will help you now, and for resale purposes to have a copy of the user manual, which will tell you all about the camera.  HERE is a link to that manual.  On the top right of the screen, there is a disc icon (3rd from right) click on that to download it to your computer.  It might be worth looking through that.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Me, too! I just wanted to let them know we can help, just in case a buyer gave them a hard time! 😉

Previously, a third party application in the name CanonEosDigitalInfo was available free on the internet. I have it on my computer and can easily find shutter counts of all my Canon DSLRs 5DII, 5DIII, 1DIV, 7D and 70D. But it failed to get it for 90D. Couldn't find an updated version of that application on the net either.

Here is an example of the screen when I ran the app in May '22.

1DIV.jpg

Only if you never remove any photos from the camera. If you format the SD card it goes back to 100. The "100" part is basically the folder. The point is you will never know if or how many times did it go over 9999.

As someone with multiple cameras, multiple SD cards... this is extremely flimsy and should never be relied upon.

If your count is going back to start that is because it is not set to the default setting, of continuous.  In all my years of using Canon cameras I have never, ever come across a Canon camera where that has not been the default, so your camera must be configured to the other option, which is to do exactly what you describe. 
Please check the setting in the menu. Please check P508 of the Advanced User Guide for the details of this: HERE 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:

If your count is going back to start that is because it is not set to the default setting, of continuous.  In all my years of using Canon cameras I have never, ever come across a Canon camera where that has not been the default, so your camera must be configured to the other option, which is to do exactly what you describe. 
Please check the setting in the menu. Please check P508 of the Advanced User Guide for the details of this: HERE 

Hi Trevor. I am pretty sure that if a card is reformatted the folder is 100, independent of image count. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

No, my count is going back to start because I went over 10.000. I have no idea how many times I went over 10.000. 3 times at least. Maybe 4 or 5. Could be 10. There's no way to tell. The point is, if you are buying a camera, you cannot verify someone's claim on the shutter count without sending it to Canon. There is absolutely no user-friendly way to confirm that claim, or even estimate it. Not even a ballpark. My folder currently says 100-3580. However... the most concurrent photos in my Lightroom library was over 70.000 across 3 cameras until I made a deep clean and now I have "only" around 40.000.

Last month alone I did around 12.000 frames. I do event photography and I was on photowall duty on 2 of them, I take a lot of photos.
Sometimes I do timelapses of northern lights which often amounts to 2+ k photos a night.

I fill up my SD cards frequently and I format them after transferring RAW files to the computer and back everything up. Whoever relies on your proposed method to check how many photos it took will be very mistaken.

Last but not least, you can always create a new folder in-camera if you are doing multiple shoots in a quick succession, just to keep it all organized and make your job easier when you get to backing up and editing afterwards.

Thank you for this. I will try this when I get home. Much appreciated

Thank you for the help in finding out the shutter count on the upper right hand side of image replay on the rear LCD.

However, it's a four digit field. My camera will soon hit ten thousand actuations. What happens then? Will the field be expanded to five digits? The shutter life of this camera is rated at 120000 actuations. That means; a six digit field is necessary.

Any suggestions re the above? Thank you in advance.

If you look at that number, it is preceded by a set of three digits, e.g. 100- #### that 100 counter will simply increase by 1 and the right-hand set will start at 0001 again: thus 100-9999 goes to 101-0000

cheers, TREVOR

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

You could always just estimate it.  If you know the original value of the count as given to you from the prior owner, then add to that the total number of images you've taken over the years.   Even if that's just a guess as how many images you've taken per month or per year.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements