cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

90D Live view - How to get the Grid of Thirds???

etermel
Contributor

Hi Community,

I've had my 70D for such a long time, and a year and a half ago I upgraded to the 90D, but somehow kept procrastinating on using it as I gradually found out some of my favorite features were gone through the upgrade, so I kept just using the 70D, easier, quicker, (but heavier). So last week, I had to finally use my 90D. And browsing the internet for quite a while to find how to rotate the picture on the viewfinder, (I kept trying to activate it, while actually I was deactivating it :-S), and how to add my grid of thirds on the viewfinder was one thing  BUT I never found how to add the grid of thirds on the LIVE view! There is a grid, but those lines are not thirds for sure. I am not only frustrated but shocked that such a basic feature is so hard to figure out. Please can anyone help? Is there an update I need to do? What am I missing. Thank you for any kind of guidance you can bring me. 

20 REPLIES 20

I don't think the 3x3 grid lines are compatible with viewfinder shooting. I will double check the manual about this. Are you using direct focus point selection or the joystick to select AF points.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thank you. Really appreciate your time.  I guess I’ll have to do with those lines 🤪

for the focus, I just have my 70D and and my 90D in almost exact same modes, with manual focus point. 
and on my 70D I can play with the round button on the side of the LCD and change my point of focus accordingly, 90D is lovked in the area I preselected. 😞

this issue really won’t do for me. It’s a terrible change that doesn’t allow me to take pictures in a flowing way. 
(in pictures the 70D is the top camera)

IMG_4746.jpeg

IMG_4747.jpeg

The main dial (the one behind the shutter button) can be setup to change focus zones If configured in the Custom Functions Menu. The joystick by default isn't configured to change AF points. Screenshot 2023-03-23 175555.pngScreenshot 2023-06-03 211229.png

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thanks so much! Ugh - I’ll try to set that up, never did this before. 
it’s such a bummer that they have to change functions we had that were perfectly fine. Thank you for your time. 

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I had the 90D and shot all the time with a 3x3 grid displayed, but I don't have that body now.  However, according to the 90D Advanced User Guide, Link HERE , you can set the grid - check P537.  The live view display is referred to on the same page as being on P540 but you should read from P539 to get the whole story.

I hope that helps.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you. Yes we looked at that yesterday. And my camera doesn’t show the same options. I just have the choice to enable or disable the grid they have on the viewfinder which is different proportions than the thirds. 🤷🏻‍♀️

A couple of things come to mind.  I would suggest making sure you have the latest firmware on the body and second make sure when you go to the menu system that the camera is set to M, Av or Tv mode, as you get more menu options then.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

etermel
Contributor

Want to thank you all for your suggestions. I was able to get someone from Canon on the phone and after deep research he helped me find out that something in the custom settings was off and was keeping my joystick off. It was not easy to find, but he found it, and Im super grateful. If it happens to someone else, the fix is in the custom setting pages. 

Geoff666
Apprentice

Hi Etermel, I've just got a new 90d & having the exact same viewfinder problem as you, with just & off & on option with a 4x4 the only grid available when picking the "on" option. How exactly did you solve the problem, would love to know as 4x4 option grid no good for me.

Hey! Actually the grid was not resolved it was my other problem that was resolved, the joystick and moving the focus points that was to my biggest relief resolved. 
for the grid, it seems and it’s totally not logical that we have to stick with whatever grid they put on the viewfinder. So strange that we can’t choose 3x3. It would make all the sense in the world for framing. Or to at least be able to choose. Sorry I couldn’t help on this one. 

Announcements