cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D focus

chief
Rising Star

Just got 80D and have question about focus points. When using one shot using any of the four AF modes when I press shutter button half way, like on my 6D, camera focus on image and I get green light in view finder and a little beep. No problem. When in AI Servo when using Zone Af, Large zone af, 45 point and press shutter button half way and achieve focus the points enlarge and become solid and change following subject, bird in flight, with no beep. But in single point focus, focus point does not seem to do anything. Am I missing something, I have not been able to thouroughly test all modes on flying birds because of lousy weather. Just trying to dial all this in so when good weather returns I will have a more thorough idea on how focus works. Any insight would be appreciated. Am using a 150-600mm Tamron for my birds in flight shots.

21 REPLIES 21

the ducks where 6d 1/1250 iso 400 f/6.3 and eagle was 1/2000 f/7.1 iso 800IMG_2084.jpgIMG_5793ht.jpg

@Waddizzle wrote:

@chief wrote:
Thanks I have on my 6d got some shots of birds in flight with 1/1600 and higher with iso 600-800. I have a buddy who uses single point in Al Servo for bif on 80d and swears by it, next time I see him gotta ask why not sure why you would use it if no focus confirmation. It seems to me the mode with the 9 af points would seem to work best for bif. I was having hard time on 6d with just the one af point keeping bif in focus not to mention the 4.5 FPS

It takes practice to track BIF.  That was taken with a 6D on an overcast day.  1/1000, f/5.6, ISO 320, 400mm

EOS 6D2017_10_141173.jpg

I use all of the AF points, and always set image priority to focus priority.  This was handheld.  I use a monopod.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@chief wrote:
Thanks I have on my 6d got some shots of birds in flight with 1/1600 and higher with iso 600-800. I have a buddy who uses single point in Al Servo for bif on 80d and swears by it, next time I see him gotta ask why not sure why you would use it if no focus confirmation. It seems to me the mode with the 9 af points would seem to work best for bif. I was having hard time on 6d with just the one af point keeping bif in focus not to mention the 4.5 FPS

It takes practice to track BIF.  That was taken with a 6D on an overcast day.  1/1000, f/5.6, ISO 320, 400mm

EOS 6D2017_10_141173.jpg

I use all of the AF points, and always set image priority to focus priority.  This was handheld.  I use a monopod.

very nice shot

chief
Rising Star
I forgot is there ever a time you would use single point in AI Servo

@chief wrote:

Umm, not with a 6D.  Maybe if you are shooting video, or wanted to limit the number of active AF points.  But, you can also control how many AF points, and where, can be automatically selected.  So, no, I cannot think of a time to use a single pont in AI Servo mode.  Maybe, if you want to pick out one subject, but you cannot see the AF point, though.

Also, BTW, Canon's DPP software can show you "active" AF points, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@chief wrote:

Single point AI Servo can be useful for macro where it can help to compensate for small subject or camera movements.

chief
Rising Star
Forgot to mention those two shots where single point focus on a tripod you can see eagle is not quite in focus

@chief wrote:
Forgot to mention those two shots where single point focus on a tripod you can see eagle is not quite in focus

The ducks are razor sharp.  The eagle looks like you may have simply missed focus.  Not every shot is going to be a keeper. 

If you can see all of the AF points tracking a subject, then you're on the right track.  Some people like to limit the number of AF points that can do tracking, which is Zone AF does for you.  The best way to understand the settings is to experiment with them.

chief
Rising Star
You mentioned early AF points assist mode what and where is that checked manual and could not find thanks

@chief wrote:
You mentioned early AF points assist mode what and where is that checked manual and could not find thanks

There is no one setting.  It is a combination of several settings in the Custom Functions II [Orange] AF menu.  You must set them manually.  Experiment with them, especially C.Fn.II settings 1, 2, and 4, as well as, 8, 9, and 10.

The 7D2 takes some of those combinations of settings, and creates several user configurable "AF Cases" out of them.  The AF Cases are presets for a combination of settings.  They work like setting up a custom shooting mode.  In the 80D, and the 6D2, you must set AF shooting modes them manually.  There are no "AF Cases, which allow you to set up AF Mode presets.

Thanks again, have been reading about those custom setting in online manual, in custom I have #1 locked on at -2 and will experiement with the other custom settings you mentioned, for other settings what would you recommend for bif. Thanks

Announcements