cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D - built-in flash not firing

chasingmayflys
Apprentice

Hi everyone I'm new here. Having an issue with my camera.

I was using my 80D last night to photograph some frogs in light rain. Just some small drops on the camera and lens. I was using built-in flash until suddenly it didn't fire at all. Is there anything I can try to get it working again? I've tried resetting the camera settings.

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Try raising flash and let camera sit to see if it can dry out. Don't turn camera on.

Sounds like water damage.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yeah I've left it all night with the flash popped up and it still doesn't work. If it is water damage, then I'm very surprised by the camera's "weather sealing," as it was only a few drops on top of the camera. Regardless, is it easily repairable if necessary?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
If everything else seems to work I would guess the damage isn’t extensive.

At this point, if it was me, rather than get it repaired I’d put the money to an external flash. The pop up flashes are pretty much useless.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

What external flash would you recommend? I hope to some indoor event photography in the future.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Depending on your power needs either the Canon 430EX or the 600EX. There are third party units but I have no experience with them. I have both the 430EX and the 600EX.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements