cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7DMKII af upgrade?

stewy14
Apprentice

I shoot wildlife with my 7dmkii, the af is starting to hold me back tho, since its a point af and not a detect af(like mirrorless)

I shoot ai servo, and I was wondering if there was any way that I can make the af have tracking at all? NOT DURING LIVE VIEW, I DONT EVER SHOOT LIVE VIEW

thanks,

stewy

5 REPLIES 5

stewy14
Apprentice

I mean is there a firmware update? or a offbrand type update that I can use? add some code into something? anything?

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome:
I shot with the 7D and 7DII for  years and for their age they are great cameras, but they do not have the capacity for face and eye tracking.  However, ten years on from release, there is no firmware update available.

If you want to get those features, then you need to move to the R-series of Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras (MILCs).  There is an R7 model that offers that, but has challenges with focusing at high shutter speeds.
If you have EF lenses then I would suggest going for one of the R-series full-frame models, such as the R6 series.  They have brilliant performance, low noise and better tracking than any of the crop-sensor bodies.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

aw dang XD, I cant buy anything new cameras, no job nothing, since I still am in school, I am trying to make this a profession, but, the af on the camera is holding me back 😞

thanks for the reply though!

With all due respect, it is not the camera that is holding you back, it's ypur skill level. I used that camera for years as a professional and got shots that sold.

A professional uses what is available and delivers the goods. If you are still at school workwith what you have, master it and save up. 

Also realize that being a professional is far,far more than having a great camera, as per the first line in my signature 

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

alright! thanks, its just that I feel like I cant focus on the eye that well, I use a 600mm lens, which as you might know, is HEAVY!! I use handheld, cause I dont like carrying around a tripod(its on my bag), since its way too heavy for long walks, also, when I am shooting birds in flight, I cant always perfectly track them, and the af ends up focusing on trees or something thats not the bird

Announcements