cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mark II high speed drive question

ilzho
Rising Star
Is there a way with the 7D Mark II to setup the high speed drive to take a few photos in succession (hands free) without touching the shutter button or wired trigger?
I do not have an assistant and am working on a high speed photography idea, but would need both hands to create the effect I want to capture.
Is there a way to set up the 2 or 10 sec delay to take a few photos in quick succession without needing to touch the shutter button (except to start the delay timer)? Or any other configuration??

Thank you,
David
12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Time Lapse Photography

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Or you could get the remote shutter release, while you need to use your hands, at least they can be away from the canera.

There is an interesting footnote for the TC-80N3 (interval timer) that states:

"Set the film advance mode to single shooting.  If it is set to continuous, continuous shooting may take place regardless of the timer control."

Unfortunately the battery is dead in my interval timer or I would test to see whether it will place the camera into a continuous shot mode once the countdown timer calls for shutter release.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I have a knock off remote shutter release, wired and canon wireless.

The issue is it is fast moving liquid and I would like to get a few shots off (instead of just one) and have the off camera flashes freeze the action at about 1/64th.... Usually I always have one hand free or a toe that I can press the shutter release button and fire off a few high speed continuous shots off. I'm going to be more than 3 feet away from the camera and my wired  remote shutter is too short and they don't sell an extension for it (or I can't find one).

I haven't tried the time lapse function, but I am assuming it needs to pause at least 1 sec between each photo take, if that's the case, the action would be over before the time lapse could shoot the second shot........

Try using the remote set to its self timer function with the camera set to high speed continuous and see if it takes a series of exposures.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Think this through...

The camera can't read your mind ... that's impossible.  To trigger the camera (either single shots or bursts) you have to either (a) push the shutter button, (b) use a remote trigger such as a wired trigger, or (c) use some device ... such a computer, smartphone, etc. 

Category (c) is special because it doesn't just mean ordinary computer or phone software... there are reactive devices that wait for some event to happen and trigger the camera as a response... but these are specialty devices that are designed to look for a specific event (there are sound triggers, light triggers, triggers that respond to lightning, etc.)   

The "wired" shutter release interface is very simple and is just contact switches.  There are three wires... one wire is the common ground wire (necessary to complete the circuit).  The other two wires are connected to the common ground to indicate either (a) a half-press of the shutter (usually that triggers focus or metering), or (b) a full-press of the shutter (usuually that triggers a shot or burst of shots.)  Based on this simple idea, numerous DIY devices have been created to trigger the camera in response to some event.

There are gadgets that detect drops of water falling and trigger the camera in response to that (used to capture the moment when the drop hits some surface ... such as a water basin... and "splashes".)  These are specialty devices made for one purpose... but the point is that it is possible to buy or build a gadget that triggers the camera in response to some "event".  I'm sure there is a way to solve your challenge.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for everyone for your replies.

The easiest solution is for a 25' wired shutter remote. Too bad I can't find one.....

I do have a sound trigger, etc... fun device to use.

It just seems that if Canon can program the camera to shoot one shot on a 2 or 10 sec delay and can program a time lapse, why couldn't you have a custom program to shoot 3-5 shots continuous based on the external flash recycle time? Seems simple enough....

I'll just continue to look for an extension to a wired trigger as for this project, it is needed, or find a friend to help.

This is not for water drop photography (I've done that before), this is something else that involves water (That I need to 'throw).

Thanks again,

David

The Canon TC-80N3 remote interval timer can be programmed for any delay.  It also can be programmed for time lapse with a delay between each frame.  I don’t think it will shoot bursts.  That might help you ... but if it needs to shoot bursts then I don’t think it will work. 

Its a bit pricey for what it is.  There are 3rd party remote trigger/timers that cost less.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I just tested the TC-80N3 with my 1DX 2.  With the camera set to high speed continuous and the TC-80N3 set to long exposure mode it will count down to start and then the 1DX 2 fires in high speed mode until the long exposure period times out.  So it would do what you need with the 1DX 2 but I don't know if your 7D 2 will behave in a similar manner.

Note for this test I had the TC-80N3 set to stack its self timer and long exposure modes so after you press the start button on the remote it counts down the self timer delay and then starts the long exposure series of shots sequence.

Rodger

Announcements