cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

77d worth it?

Seanac
Contributor

Hi. I am looking for an upgrade from my T6S. I shoot aviation photography, so it’s fast paced like sports/wildlife.

I’ve made other forum posts similar to this topic, and most people reply the 7d mark 2 is a good upgrade.

I would like to know what you guys think a good upgrade would be. Currently I have 24MP and people recommended the 20MP 7d mark 2 (I know the quality of the megapixels is better, but still feels like a downgrade) but I am looking into the 24MP 77D.

The 90D is just too expensive for me, but it is my “dream camera” that I’ll get one day. So is the 77D worth it? It’s not that much of an upgrade from my T6S, but I’m curious if it’s worth upgrading to, or how it compares to the 7d mark2.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Today, I wouldn't consider a 7D2 (2014).  

77D vs T6s.  Almost identical except better ISO and focus points 9 vs 45 - 77D wins for action photography.

Canon 77D vs Canon T6s Detailed Comparison (cameradecision.com)

I owned a T6s, so or me, the 77D would not be an upgrade.  I take a lot of architecture and landscape pictures.  In your case, since action photography is one of your primary uses, the 77D's 45 focus points beats the T6s' 9 FP by far.  The 77D will do a better job acquiring focus of fast moving action or subjects.  

Investing in DSLR;s today is not the best way to spend your money, but someone here more wise than I has always said.. "Any camera is better than no camera". That said, I would buy a 90D if I could.  The extra cost would be well worth the money and a better long term investment.  Cost to features the 90D provides more long term value.

Canon 77D vs Canon 90D Detailed Comparison (cameradecision.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Well I totally disagree with Rick on this one. Personally, I would never buy a 77D. Now ht e7D Mk II is a completely different camera. It is as close to a pro level crop sensor camera that Canon ever made. It is worlds apart from a 77D and any Rebel. First right off it has a magnesium frame and is larger and heavier. It is a wonderful camera and is no lees as wonderful today as it was. The 77D is just a fancy Rebel  The 77D shares a lot in common with the T7i. But as  I mentioned the 7 series cameras are as close to pro level as it gets. Don't get hung up on one spec like how many MP a sensor as. When you evaluate a camera look at is as a whole. Check out all the features and decide what is important to you. A high MP sensor is really just a marketing advertising department spec more than photographic. On the other hand a magnesium frame may not be important and you are good with plastic so the 77D could do it for you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

As regard MP count, a lot depends on what you are going to produce, as I have often said the gear required for large, high-resolution prints vs digital display is significant.  I have shot aviation myself with the 7DII, and I personally find the tracking superior to the 80D and 90D (I have both), which are later, and one would expect to be superior models to the 77D.  They have newer sensor, but the tracking is not as good.  I remain surprised that Canon didn't incorporate the same type of tracking from the 7DII into the 90D, but they didn't.  There is a lot more to tracking than just the number of focus point and that is demonstrated with the different between the 7DII and the later models.  If you want the best in tracking then save your pennies and wait to see (as rumoured)  if Canon release a R7 - if it is equipped with the same tracking as the R5 and R6 (including vehicle tracking), it will be a huge step forward in your area. 

The following two images were taken with the 7DII and are actually of radio-controlled aircraft, which are very challenging to shoot because they are so close to the ground, are small, and move very quickly.  I was using the 7DII with the Canon EF 100-400L MkII lens, hand-held.  I have a high keeper count (obviously, I can't post them all here!) and I had to seriously downsize the images to post here.

Boeing-Stearman Model 75 01-1.jpgSpitfire Vb 01-1.jpg

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Trevor's images are FANTASTIC as usual.

Ebiggs points are all well taken.  Magnesium body, 65 FP's, one of Canon's best AF systems in its day. If I owned the 7D2 from new I might keep it.  I have super happy memories of my T6s and remember feeling like I had lost something when I sold it in 2017.  I wouldn't buy an 8yr old cell phone, or 8 yr old computer.  Hence I wouldn't seek out a body from 2014. Thats just my preference, but it doesn't have to be yours. 

Canon 77D vs Canon 7D MII Detailed Comparison (cameradecision.com)

Canon continues to make remarkable strides in imaging. The 7D2 wins for sports and action. The 77D wins overall when you compare all features side by side. So my preferences aside, please decide what is most important to you and invest in what will best meet your needs.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

77D.  Is it worth it?  Beauty and worth is in the eye of the beholder.

The MP specification is highly overrated, IMHO.  I would rather have fewer bigger and better pixels than greater numbers of smaller and lesser quality pixels.  On that note, a camera like the 7D2 wins every day of the week in my book.  But, the 7D2 is several years old; and could very be approaching the end of its service life with Canon.  Do not assume the electronic parts will always be available.  If Canon can no longer buy the electronics, then they can no longer service the camera.

I regard a 77D as a Rebel body on steroids, but is still a Rebel.  I think it is more of a replacement for your T6s than a significant upgrade.  For as long as you have a fully working T6s, I do not see reason to “upgrade” to a 77D, because it isn’t that much of an upgrade.  Yes, it has more MP, but the IQ of those pixels are comparable to what you already have.

The AF system is more important than the sensor MP count.  The 7D2 has a pro grade AF system, which the 77D can almost rival.  The biggest difference is that 7D2 allows for more control over the AF behavior than the 77D, which is mostly automatic by comparison.  The 77D may have more MP in its image sensor, but the 7D2 has more AF points in its AF system.

Finally, your lenses are far more important than your camera body….and longer lasting, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements