cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70D WTF Pairing Windows 8.1 - Hangs

MadMaxJax
Contributor

Hi,

I have been attempting to pair my 70D to a Windows 8.1 Desktop computer. However the cameras LCD just sticks at Pairing in progress.

I have disabled the firewall (just in case)

Got the latest software.

Seen that the computer can see the camera is on the network. However its web page does not display

EOS Utility V2.13.40.0

WTFPairing V1.6.0.109

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Andrew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

My problems are fixed now - Canon UK has made available a new version of EOS Utility 2 which fixes the problems with WiFi under windows 8.1 (64bit) and possibly other specific configurations. I have just downloaded it and tested WiFi pairing and it now works ok, and the issue with it causing the BT hub 5 to reset when installed has also gone, The version that works is 2.14.1 I have checked the US site and the same version is available there also. 

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Thanks for the update.

I first tried the update, but still it would not connect.

I then uninstalled all the canon software, downloaded the latest copy of the oftware disk (only 2.14.0 of the utility software).

Then I updated to 2.14.1 and at long last The wireless function worked.

Now Canon have got round to fixing this issue, maybe they will review the remote software an get them ported to Windows Devices.

Andrew

Hi StreeterN.

i have exactly the same issues you had but still cannot pair my 70D to my network, and yes it hangs when pairing. I now have EOS Utiliy 2 which is fine with a USB link. But when I click on Pairing over WiFi/Lan there it all ends and eventually i just cancel the process. I too have  BT Homehub 5 with all manner of things on it sonos, Tv etc which are ok. so this is most frustrating. 

I can connect the 70D with my iphone and the Cano Eos  app and shot remotely, but would like to transfer files over wi-fi.

So I am wondering as i have  the same set up as tyou where i am going wrong. And yes like you i followed the Canon Wif-Manual ( all 174 pages)  to the letter !! My camera sees my network but my laptop doesnt see the cameras it can't connect. Have also removed all firewall settings as well to no avail.

Any advice would be good !!

Kind regards

Ian Rodie

The EOS Utility uses UNPN to see the camera. Do you know if Network Discovery is enabled. If network discovery is not enabled, the utility will not connect. Here is what Microsoft says:

Network discovery is a network setting that affects whether your computer can see (find) other computers and devices on the network and whether other computers on the network can see your computer. By default, Windows Firewall blocks network discovery, but you can enable it. Note that this says Win7 but the point is the same for Windows 8.1.

Here is the link to the full Microsoft article: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enable-disable-network-discovery#1TC=windows-7

If you are using a third party firewall (McAfee, Norton, etc.), the point is to ensure that the firewall is not blocking the UNPN service and Network Discovery.

Steve

@SGFFX wrote:

The EOS Utility uses UNPN to see the camera. Do you know if Network Discovery is enabled. If network discovery is not enabled, the utility will not connect. Here is what Microsoft says:

Network discovery is a network setting that affects whether your computer can see (find) other computers and devices on the network and whether other computers on the network can see your computer. By default, Windows Firewall blocks network discovery, but you can enable it. Note that this says Win7 but the point is the same for Windows 8.1.

Here is the link to the full Microsoft article: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enable-disable-network-discovery#1TC=windows-7

If you are using a third party firewall (McAfee, Norton, etc.), the point is to ensure that the firewall is not blocking the UNPN service and Network Discovery.

Steve

The general principle of that explanation is correct, but not, I think, some of the details. The default state of network discovery depends on how you describe your network to the operating system. For a "work" network, network discovery is not disabled by default; for a "public" network it is. I forget which way it goes for a "home" network, but if you say you're using a "work" network, you shouldn't have to turn network discovery on manually. Also, my recollection is that these defaults are effective whether or not the Windows Firewall is turned on, but I'm not 100% sure on that point.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks for your reply.

Network discovery was turned off. However I set Network discovery to on, and saved the changes. When I double checked , lo and behold the Network discovery has been turned off again ! And this happened several times, so something is amiss overiding the settings so they can't be saved.  I seem to recall a similar incdent when my Sonos system failed to be recognised but can't recall the fix Sonossuggested ! But that is fine now.

Any solution there Steve? 

Regards

Ian

Here is a YouTube video that explains how to solve the problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rapuTG2U6do I have not had this problem with Network Discovery so I cannot vouch for the information. I will say that it seems reasonable based on other problems I have fixed.

A "home" network really means the IP subdomain is the local LAN i.e. there is a gateway and a firewall at the router between your LAN and the public internet.

The "Public" network is any network that does not share the same IP subdomain address with your device. In other words it is typically on the other side of your router and its firewall.

A "work" domain is a Windows Domain. The domain administer sets policy on a domain server for all PCs within the domain.. Typically this is done through Group Policy settings and someone on a workstation in the Windows Domain (not an IP domain) usually does not have Domain admin to change Group Policy. Network Discovery and associated services are something that would typically be set at the server.

@SGFFX wrote:

Here is a YouTube video that explains how to solve the problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rapuTG2U6do I have not had this problem with Network Discovery so I cannot vouch for the information. I will say that it seems reasonable based on other problems I have fixed.

A "home" network really means the IP subdomain is the local LAN i.e. there is a gateway and a firewall at the router between your LAN and the public internet.

The "Public" network is any network that does not share the same IP subdomain address with your device. In other words it is typically on the other side of your router and its firewall.

A "work" domain is a Windows Domain. The domain administer sets policy on a domain server for all PCs within the domain.. Typically this is done through Group Policy settings and someone on a workstation in the Windows Domain (not an IP domain) usually does not have Domain admin to change Group Policy. Network Discovery and associated services are something that would typically be set at the server.

Most of that isn't true or is a gross oversimplification, but I have neither the time nor the inclination to debate it here. The subject is well outside of the scope of this forum. Suffice it to say that if that's really what the You-tube video says, it should not be taken seriously.

The operative point is that when the "network" at issue is a one-on-one wi-fi connection between a camera and a laptop or tablet computer, the OS has plenty of opportunity to misinterpret what it sees. Regardless of the technique used to establish the connection between the two devices, they will be in the same IP subdomain, BUT that does not stop the OS from deeming it a "public" network unless it is told otherwise. In ALL wi-fi systems, including all public ones, the client computers are in the same subdomain as the access point. The fact that the access point may also be a router (which of course it isn't when it's a camera) and may therefore sit on at least one other subnet, is entirely irrelevant.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements