cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[6D] stop the GPS battery drain with the OFF switch

ulightme
Apprentice

PLEASE someone tell Firmware team to make the 6D STOP draining battery while OFF.

I noticed that even while the camera is OFF (Hardware Switched OFF) the GPS is still draining to battery.

13 REPLIES 13

Skirball
Authority

Yes, this is what everyone was hoping they'd fix with the first firmware update.  Seems they decided to pool their resources and tackle that horrible issue with the Date/Time/Zone values resetting themselves.  Glad they got that fixed.

hsbn
Whiz
I want this feature and the White Balance button so bad.
http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/6D-GPS-Drains-battery-when-idle/m-p/13439#U13439 you can bump the thread there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

No doubt about the white balance button.  I don't use GPS so it doesn't bother me, but I just think it's sloppy engineering on Canon's part and I think not fixing it shows their apathetic corporate side.

great thread ... let's hope this is fixed in the next FW upgrade

Me three.

ulightme
Apprentice

OFF means OFF 🙂

freedom
Contributor

6D battery drain - "Work Around"

Install the Canon Battery Grip. 

Step 1.  Turn the battery lock to Open.and leave it unlocked

(Batteries are now disconected from camera)

Step 2    Use a rubber band to hold battery tray in.

====================================

NOTE:: If Canon will not make a fix, possibly the after-market suppliers of the 'Grip' will make a three position latch.

A 'Modified' grip could easily be manufactured by modifying the tray and latch assembly.

Position 1.  Power disconnected and tray locked in (6:00 clock position)

Position 2.  Tray unlocked (Similar position as present)

Position 3.  Tray is locked and power is connecd. (Same position as present and battery drain will continue as it does now..)

GET WITH IT CANON....   or let the after-market fix it with their 'Grip'

Bill

don't worry, Canon will fix some translation error in the next firmware release.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

MortenZdk
Contributor

The Magic Lantern (http://www.magiclantern.fm/) is said to have this feature, but I have not tried it myself.

Gee... pretty annoying having to use a 3rd hack for a $2000+ camera, just because Canon don't know that OFF means OFF.

When you turn the camera OFF, often you put it away some place where there is no GPS coverage, for example inside a house or in the trunk of a car, so it really makes no sense burning battery to look for GPS, with the disadvantage that next time you try to turn the camera on, there is no battery left.

Canon should really fix this in a firmware upgrade; also for the 7D Mark II that has the same annoying problem.

Announcements