cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D or 7D Mark II?

robertw900
Contributor

Have off-loaded my 5DIII for smaller, lighter gear.  Choosing between the 6D and 7DII.  95% of my shooting is vacation, landscape, family, but occasionally shoot daytime professional baseball with a long lens (Tamron 150-600mm probably).  My main lens is the 24-105 L.  I'm striving for max IQ, small size and light weight which all seem to favor the 6D.  Is there a noticeable difference in IQ between the two sensors?  I recognize the 7DII is a beast for action, but imagine the 6D could probably handle the occasional ball game?  Any informed opinions are welcome as I live in a rural area and can't check the cameras out in person locally.   Thanks for any input.

15 REPLIES 15

ScottyP
Authority
I have the 6d and it shoots kids soccer just fine. 95% of my shooting is not sports, and I really like the full stop better low light/high ISO performance.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:
I have the 6d and it shoots kids soccer just fine. 95% of my shooting is not sports, and I really like the full stop better low light/high ISO performance.

I totally agree, but I try to remain unbiased when recommending cameras, and the 6D really isn't an action camera.  It suffices for my use, but I'm ok missing a shot here or there, or not having a 10 fps sequence of some interaction.  I understand why professionals selling those photos would want that, but it's a stretch to believe you need it for capturing pictures of your kids playing sports.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and experience.  I pretty much know that the 6D won't be as capable as my 5DIII or a 7DII for achieving pro level sports performance, but it may be good enough for my amateur efforts.  Your previous comment about the weaker AF of the 6D was noted, and along with the slower burst speed, it's clear the 6D isn't really in the same league as the other two cameras for action.  However, these decisions are a series of tradeoffs, and in my case the smaller body, lighter weight and good affordability of the 6D all seem to hit my targets.  In my case, the premium for the other cameras probably isn't worth it to me, and the extra bulk would be a clear negative when it comes to my daily use. 

Thanks again Skirball for sharing your knowledge and experience.  I pretty much know that the 6D won't be as capable as my 5DIII or a 7DII for achieving pro level sports performance, but it may be good enough for my amateur efforts.  Your previous comment about the weaker AF of the 6D was noted, and along with the slower burst speed, it's clear the 6D isn't really in the same league as the other two cameras for action.  However, these decisions are a series of tradeoffs, and in my case the smaller body, lighter weight and good affordability of the 6D all seem to hit my targets.  In my case, the premium for the other cameras probably isn't worth it to me, and the extra bulk would be a clear negative when it comes to my daily use. (Had previous responded as a quick reply you may not have associated with your comment)

A practical reply like this is extremely helpful. 95% of my shooting is not sports either and being able to handle a kids soccer game is essentially what I'm trying to do the other 5% of the time. Thanks for conveying your personal experience. I have found I can analyze technical specs forever and never answer whether a camera will feel natural in the hand or respond the way I expect it to in the field. Knowing that it works for you gives me confidence it will work for me.

Thanks Scotty P!  A practical reply like this is extremely helpful. 95% of my shooting is not sports either and being able to handle a kids soccer game is essentially what I'm trying to do the other 5% of the time. Thanks for conveying your personal experience. I have found I can analyze technical specs forever and never answer whether a camera will feel natural in the hand or respond the way I expect it to in the field. Knowing that it works for you gives me confidence it will work for me.(I previously posted a quick reply before realizing you could not see that I was responding to your invidiual comment.  Thanks for being patient.  I'm new to the group.)

Announcements