cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D & 6D mk. II - Upgrade suggestions from EOS 20D

xaweer
Apprentice

I am currently using a 20D which is a very fine camera and takes great photographs. I am still fairly new to DSLR cameras so I wanted to start with a decent base level kit.

Recently I have been wanting to upgrade my body to take advantage of some of the newer upgrades such as a better sensor and higher ISO settings.

I am a hobbyist and shoot mostly landscape, nature/wildlife, macro and candid head shots.

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What is your budget?

What is preventing you from going whole hog to an R8? Even the 6D Mk II is getting to 10 years old.

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

I would highly recommend looking into a Mirrorless camera. The DSLR platform is dead and no further improvement is happening any longer. I would look into the EOS R series lineup of cameras. The AF systems have greatly surpassed a DSLR in performance. Since you're interested in the EOS 6D series I'd look into the EOS R6 Mark II as a replacement. What lenses do you currently have. These new mirrorless cameras use a new mount called the RF Mount. Older EF or EF-S Mount lenses can be adapted to these cameras. But functions will be limited due to older hardware in the lens. Do you want to stick with APS-C or move to Full Frame. Note when adapting Canon EF-S lenses to a Full Frame EOS R series body. The camera will be forced into APS-C mode reducing megapixels. For instance the EOS R6 Mark II has a 24 megapixel Full Frame image sensor. But in APS-C mode its reduced to 9.3 megapixels. This is due to the lens only projecting an APS-C image circle which is smaller than 35mm film. So I'd look into Full Frame replacement counterpart if you have any APS-C lenses. What is your budget in mind do you have any accessories such as a Speedlite/ External Flash.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 5D Mark IV
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Retired Gear: EOS 40D, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM & EF 70-210mm F/4
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I, too, generally think an R series is the way to proceed. But before we do what is your lens inventory? And if the 6 series is what you want make sure you get the MK II. I never fell in love with the 6D or even liked it.

In your position anything new or newer will be a significant upgrade over the 20D.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum:

Quite a few changes have occurred in the 20 years since the 20D was released.  DSLR cameras are now essentially being replaced by a whole new generation of cameras called Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras (MILCs).  In many ways they share a lot in commons with the camera you are used to, but they no longer employ a mirror to reflect an image via a pentaprism to your viewfinder.  Now, images are viewed and metered directly off the sensor and the images displayed on a tiny LCD screen Electronic View Finder (EVF), where the optical viewfinder was, there is also a large LCD screen at the back of the camera that can also show what you are shooting in in real time - it's called Live View.

Despite all these changes, you would find much that is familiar in the camera interface - many of the buttons and dials are similar (although there are more) and the menus, while expanded are treated the same way.  With any new camera there is always a learning curve, and the longer the period between engagements the more there will be to learn.  Still, I would bet you could pick up a MILC, recognize it as a sibling to your 20D and be able to operate most of the basic controls pretty quickly.

There are significant advantages to this. You can see what exposure will be achieved directly on the displays, and focusing is done using the sensor's far greater number of photosites, resulting in much more accurate focusing and exposure.  This allows such features as auto eye focus, where the camera will look for and focus on an eye, and has the ability to track an eye or a face if it is moving - brilliant for wildlife.  Most modern units can focus on people, animals and even find drivers in cars or on motor bikes - great for sports photography.

Sensors have improved massively.  Sensors of 24MP are considered normal for both APS-C (like your 20D) or full-frame, but some can far exceed that, such as the R5 series at 45MP.  Both ISO performance and dynamic range are also vastly upgraded, with an ability to record in 12800 ISO with minimal noise and good colour and tonal rendition.  All of this is done at much higher speeds because cameras can use either a traditional mechanical shutter or full electronic shutter where the sensor simply turns on and off to record a new image - in most cases this is done line by line, but in a few cases they can all be refreshed at once, and this is called a Global Shutter.

Finally, cameras now offer In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) that can compensate for some camera movement in 5 axes and even work with lens Optical Image Stabilization (IS) to offer up to 9 stops of improvement, thus allowing steady shots in very dim light that look sharp.

Lenses have also improved significantly with improved stabilization, many more sophisticated coatings to improve refraction and reflection.  Many lenses are now lighter, more compact and cheaper, yet offer top end results because of the marriage of pure optics with software that works with the camera to make corrections and produce high quality results without great cost.  This is aa application of technology that was originally developed for cell phones and now allows much cheaper optics that perform at a high level.

With all of that said, we need to look at what you need.  The reason I explained all of the above is because we would mostly recommend that you move to the MILC platform as this is where the latest developments are and the future lies.

To help us to help you, it would be critical to know the following:
A $amount for your budget - this for lenses and body
I understand your intended subjects, which cover a very wide range, which usually demands a mix of optics.  What lenses do you currently have - please be as specific as possible as there are often multiple versions of one optical range.
Do you shoot in very dim light?  What subjects are your highest priority?
What do you intend to produce?  That is, will you create images for social media, digital display, small to medium prints, or extremely large prints?
Do you have any issues in carrying gear, also do you want lightness and compactness for travel or hiking?
Would you prefer a few lenses with a lot of focal range, or prime (single focal length) ones?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements