cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D Mark ii- Are the owners satisfied? I backed away from it based on the bad internet reviews....

secondlevel
Enthusiast

I backed away from buying the new 6D Mark ii based on all the negative reviews that it received.  However, yesterday I saw the DXO scores and the camera did ok.  That made me start to wonder if I was missing something. Can really produce a usable image at ISO 40,000?

I currenly own a 60D, 77D, and the original 6D.  I feel I have most situations that I encounter covered with these models.  Nevertheless, with the cost down on it and I already have lens and flashes I wonder  about it.  I would only need the body.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Everyone has their own standards, experiences and opinions.  I have decades of experience with Canon, and am a former T6s owner.  An enthusiast who does not rely on his camera to put food on the table. 

6d2, my reasons for purchase.  I was looking to move up to FF and a 5dMKx wasn't in the cards.  Not because of the price, but because it doesn't have a articulating screen.  Silly, I know.  This is a feature I really enjoy and I hope it happens by the time I'm ready to step up again.  Maybe it never will on a true pro body?   

I read the same reviews as you.  They gave me pause, but I continued to research. I didn't want to invest in a older 6d.  (Which I fully acknowledge is a great camera)   After more research, I bought the body.  Its fantastic.  As mentioned, we all have different expectations.  It checked the majority of boxes for me and got me to FF at a reasonable price point, improving on what I had and meeting the criteria I had for upgrade.  The 6d2 is an improvement over the 6d.  Canon has improved almost every aspect of the original platform.  For someone coming from APS-C, its a nice upgrade.  The upgraded AF alone helped to sell me.

However, for someone who already owns a entry level FF, the feature set and modest upgrades of the 6d2 might not feel like a big step up, or justify the cost for the value being received.  This depends on the user and his/hers expectations.  Also the intended use of the camera.

The camera has already been to Europe with me, a few weddings (as a guest) and to family celebrations.  Used under various shooting conditions, weather and more.  Its perfomed well and I really like it.  When my casual snaps at my niece's wedding came back better than their professional photographers...  I felt even better.  He had a 6d with a Sigma Art lens.  I had a 6d2 with the same lens.  He looked like he knew what he was doing.  But my images are the ones the family wants to frame.  It was a bit of luck coupled with a great body and my modest (non professional) experience.  And lets not forget that Sigma lens which I love as well.  I still classify myself as an enthusiast.  I'm unloading my crop equipment.  Had 2 great years with it.  Body is gone, have some lenses left that will eventually go to good homes. Its a hobby, I just need one good body and the 6d2 is it for now.      

Side by side, the body is an improvement from the original.  But will it give you the true bump in performnace is something only you can probably answer.       

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

72 REPLIES 72

"I'm done knocking my head into the wall."

Feels good when you stop. Doesn't it?  Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"The 6D is a very good camera in low light, and the 6D Mark II is just as good."

I guess if I had bought in the 6D family and there was a camera at half the price that equaled it or even excelled it in a spec or two, I would defend it too.

EB

sceneit
Enthusiast

I'm really confused about the posts in this thread particularly the ones where there are claims that the 80D is better than the 6D II. I've been trying to decide what camera to get and I'm leaning towards the 6D II. The 80D was on my list because it can be had for $699 at some stores online. I currently have a 77D and I'm not happy with it for a number of reasons, mainly in that the AF is too hit or miss. Basically I'm tired of double checking every image and I want it to be in focus when it says its in focus. Honestly its so bad I want to ditch Canon. I just can't fathom a D series camera that doesn't even accurately confirm focus. Hence my need to upgrade. That said I have gotten great images out of the 77D and when it's in focus its spectacular. 

I assume that what has happened is that I've bought a camera with similar specs on paper but in reality its tuned to be a little worse to justify the lower price. I just wonder if some of that is happening with the 80D or 6D II. I think with the 6D they chose to lower the dynamic range a touch but I'm wondering what secret handicaps the 80D has been bestowed with?

People often make the same arguments about 77D vs 80D, same sensor, same AF, basically the same performance right??? WRONG.

Anyway, I'm still leaning towards 6D II because its FF and it has great low light performance but the low price of the 80D is compelling. 

I think for my lenses I would prefer FF as well. 

I really want to skip the 5D for now because I'm waiting for the 5DS II. 

Any thoughts or am I on my own?

@sceneitwrote:

I'm really confused about the posts in this thread particularly the ones where there are claims that the 80D is better than the 6D II. I've been trying to decide what camera to get and I'm leaning towards the 6D II. The 80D was on my list because it can be had for $699 at some stores online. I currently have a 77D and I'm not happy with it for a number of reasons, mainly in that the AF is too hit or miss. Basically I'm tired of double checking every image and I want it to be in focus when it says its in focus. Honestly its so bad I want to ditch Canon. I just can't fathom a D series camera that doesn't even accurately confirm focus. Hence my need to upgrade. That said I have gotten great images out of the 77D and when it's in focus its spectacular. 

I assume that what has happened is that I've bought a camera with similar specs on paper but in reality its tuned to be a little worse to justify the lower price. I just wonder if some of that is happening with the 80D or 6D II. I think with the 6D they chose to lower the dynamic range a touch but I'm wondering what secret handicaps the 80D has been bestowed with?

People often make the same arguments about 77D vs 80D, same sensor, same AF, basically the same performance right??? WRONG.

Anyway, I'm still leaning towards 6D II because its FF and it has great low light performance but the low price of the 80D is compelling. 

I think for my lenses I would prefer FF as well. 

I really want to skip the 5D for now because I'm waiting for the 5DS II. 

Any thoughts or am I on my own?

It's easy to overthink a decision like this. If you're planning to go FF, get the 6D2; otherwise get the 80D.

Has the 5DS sold well enough to justify a Mark II model in the foreseeable future?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"I'm still leaning towards 6D II because its FF and it has great low light performance but the low price of the 80D is compelling."

If I were you, today, and I wanted a new camera and the choice was between the 80D and the 6D Mk II, I would buy the 80D. All day long!  Its a no brainer if you think it through.

A camera can not be thought of separately by itself.  You need to consider it as a combo with its lens.  Cameras do not take a single photo without a lens.  OK what lens?

The EOS 80D and the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  Why is this good?  It will cost you about $1800 to $1900 bucks.  The 6D2 can not use that lens.  A similar lens for it is the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens.  But now you are looking at nearly twice the price. $3700 bucks.  Twice !

If you can make a statement that the 6D2 is better than the 80D, which I don't believe for one second, but let's say so, is it twice the cost better?  Not on your tootie-toot-toot.

Now, true, you could opt for the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM Lens at a more reasonable price of $1100 but now you just gave up whatever little low light advantage the 6D2 may have had over the 80D.  Still at three grand, however.

Now which camera sounds like the best choice?  

EB

Thanks for the responses!

After looking at image quality comparisons on dpreview, and after also owning the 77D for a year, I decided to opt for the 6D II. The reason largely being that I believe Canon makes you pay extra for better performance. I know it's borderline paranoia but this is what I believe. It may simply be a matter of quality control in the factory but I believe they give you a better camera at the higher price points. 

Logically speaking the 77D should be basically equal to the 80D, but let me tell you something, it is a bit of a dud. The AF is so off half the time. I'll take 5 pictures on a tripod, centerpoint only, refocusing everytime, and the focal plane moves around front and back. It's frustrating as hell. I had a 5D before this and while not the best AF system in the world when it said it was focused it WAS BLEEPING FOCUSED!!!

So it's my experience that somehow, someway, the quality is down with the price even if the spec sheet says otherwise.

I've also read some blog posts that say the 6D II's dynamic range is higher than reported by DXO reports. 

Anyway, I really appreciate the help and the discussion but end of day I gotta go with my gut and my gut says 6D II. 

Also, I already own 4 top shelf FF lenses, so there's little point in investing in APS-C only lenses.

@sceneitwrote:

Logically speaking the 77D should be basically equal to the 80D, but let me tell you something, it is a bit of a dud. The AF is so off half the time. I'll take 5 pictures on a tripod, centerpoint only, refocusing everytime, and the focal plane moves around front and back. It's frustrating as hell. I had a 5D before this and while not the best AF system in the world when it said it was focused it WAS BLEEPING FOCUSED!!!

Upon closer inspection, the 77D lacks many features that have standard on recent ##D models. The 77D lacks a lot of nice features. 

• It lacks AFMA.
  • It lacks Custom Shooting Modes.
  • It lacks custom temperature setting for White Balance
  • It lacks exposure compensation in Manual

I sure if I keep looking I might find something else I like, but is not available on a 77D. I suspect the viewfinder display in AI Servo mode might be little crippled, too. I wonder if you can see the tracking display of AF Assist points.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@sceneitwrote:

"Anyway, I really appreciate the help and the discussion but end of day I gotta go with my gut and my gut says 6D II." 

I think you made a good decision.....

I shoot with both the 80D and the 6D Mark ii and love both cameras. Coming from the Rebel Series I bought the 80D in the spring of 2016 and bought the 6D Mark ii last September 2017. (even after reading and watching all the Youtube negative reviews). I don't regret buying the 6D2 for one second! It's a great camera. One can pixel peep any camera to death if that is ones desire to do so!

I almost always carry both cameras with me on my shooting adventures/outings but mostly only use the 80D for my long lenses for the added reach. My 6D2 is the camera I 99.9% of the time grab for almost any type of shooting. Both cameras have outstanding image quality. Concerning image quality the 6D2 I would only give it a slight edge to as the better camera over the 80D just from my experience using both cameras extensively. Shooting with the 6D2 now for over the last 7 months I do prefer the full frame over crop cameras.....except I always use the 80D with my Canon 70-300mm, Sigma 150-600mm, and some vintage lenses. 

If I had any complaints about the 6D2 it would only be the 1/4000 shutter speed limit as I also shoot with a lot of old vintage fast lenses and in bright sunlight I often need to go above 1/4000's of a second (but thats when the 80D comes in to play). Once in a while I have this issue with my Tamron 85mm f/1.8 lens too on the 6D2 which is a bit frustrating. As for all the internet hype and bashing on the 6D2 about its bad dynamic range, well, I haven't really had that problem with this camera much. There has been a time or too when I had to bracket a few landscape shots, but I probably would of had to do that anyways regardless of what camera I was using. 

I must say that pairing this 80D with the 6D2 has been one of the best decisions I've ever made.....The 6D2 is probably one of the most under-rated cameras of 2017 and I have no regrets buying it regardless of all the negative internet bashing done on this camera................

Good afternoon.
From what I read you also shoot with your Canon 6D Mark II, with my I'm very sad, the image goes very blurry having already tried several styles of image, filming with canon lens 24/105 L .II among others. I could offer your settings to please me. Thank you greetings

@sceneitwrote:

After looking at image quality comparisons on dpreview, and after also owning the 77D for a year, I decided to opt for the 6D II. The reason largely being that I believe Canon makes you pay extra for better performance. I know it's borderline paranoia but this is what I believe. It may simply be a matter of quality control in the factory but I believe they give you a better camera at the higher price points. 

So it's my experience that somehow, someway, the quality is down with the price even if the spec sheet says otherwise.

I've also read some blog posts that say the 6D II's dynamic range is higher than reported by DXO reports. 

Anyway, I really appreciate the help and the discussion but end of day I gotta go with my gut and my gut says 6D II. 

Also, I already own 4 top shelf FF lenses, so there's little point in investing in APS-C only lenses.

That gave me a laugh.  Do you know a single company that doesn't charge more for its higher-spec products?  Why else would they make more than one? Smiley Happy

Announcements