cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60D won't power on after long storage

Cadred
Contributor

My 60D has been in storage for a few years and it won't turn on. Charged the battery but I just get a flashing battery when I power it on.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this?

12 REPLIES 12

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The battery may not be able to hold a proper charge.  I would first try a new battery.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

" I would first try a new battery."

So would I as a first try but the charger may be at fault also. Sometimes you need to leave the battery on the charger for an extended period of time say over night.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for your reply. I will order a new battery. I understand that the unit has a small watch-style battery on a circuit board inside the unit that helps with the reset. Could this one dead too?

"I understand that the unit has a small watch-style battery ..."

I don't remember if the 60D has that battery or not. Newer cameras mostly don't have it. However, even if it does and it is dead it will not stop the 60D from turning on.  It simply remembers the date and time and certain camera settings.  It is sometimes called a keep alive battery.

EB

aah. I see. I looked at Youtube vids for this and some tinkerers thought it might be that internal battery.

I looked into sending it back to Canon for repair (although I would love to have a 1:1 format camera) but they don't provide servide for the 60D anymore.  A pity.

Thank you again.

The "keep alive" battery for the time/clock is something that shouldn't be an issue however I have seen electronic gear where a memory keep alive battery that is in the gray zone between acceptable and dead prevents the gear from functioning.  If it is a coin cell battery, it should be cheap and easy to replace and you could simply remove it as a test to see if the camera will then start.

Does the 60D have a switch in the memory card access door that prevents the camera from powering up when the door is open?  That switch is a common issue with many bodies.  Cycling it several times by opening and closing the memory card compartment will sometimes allow the switch contacts to self-clean.  It is worth a try if the 60D has that protective feature.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Hi and thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the watch-style battery in the 60D is buried deep inside behind the camera back and protected by sever teeny, tiny screws. Thank you Canon!!Smiley Frustrated

"...the watch-style battery in the 60D is buried deep inside behind the camera back..."

If doesn't matter!  Like I said it will not keep the 60D from powering up or turning on.

EB

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

The 60D does not have an "owner serviceable" keep-alive or memory battery.

So far mine has given me no trouble.

Announcements