cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5DMKIII corrupt images over three years

ronrandle
Contributor

Hi, guys, we've been having an ongoing issue with our 5DMK3 cameras and over the course of three years, this same issue has happened multiple times with all three of our 5DMK3 bodies. My main body has had this occur three times in the last four months; May 12, July 23 and Aug 30.

You click the link to see samples but it appears that the processor is compiling portions of multiple images into one corrupt frame. Canon CPS has replaced the CPU in two of the bodies, reset-updated firmware, but the issue continues to happen.

We regularly maintain our cameras at CPS and are using brand new SanDisk Extreme cards purchased in July 2015.

We record MRAW to SD and CF cards in manual mode, silent shutter mode, single shot, and the images are on both cards. As part of our back up protocol, we remove the CF card to take to the studio and leave the SD card in the camera, and you can see the corrupt image on the back of the camera before card was removed from camera so the issue isn't with our import process or computer.

Has anyone else had this happen and if so, what was the remedy, other than switch to Nikon? 😄

Thanks a ton for your perspective

Ron

Sample images

15 REPLIES 15

ronrandle
Contributor
Also want to add that we format cards in camera and use low level format for SD card

Peter
Authority
Authority
Doyou also get it in raw? Not mraw.

Peter, thanks for the reply, we switched to MRAW this year, but all previous issues have been in RAW.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@ronrandle wrote:

Hi, guys, we've been having an ongoing issue with our 5DMK3 cameras and over the course of three years, this same issue has happened multiple times with all three of our 5DMK3 bodies. My main body has had this occur three times in the last four months; May 12, July 23 and Aug 30.

You click the link to see samples but it appears that the processor is compiling portions of multiple images into one corrupt frame. Canon CPS has replaced the CPU in two of the bodies, reset-updated firmware, but the issue continues to happen.

We regularly maintain our cameras at CPS and are using brand new SanDisk Extreme cards purchased in July 2015.

We record MRAW to SD and CF cards in manual mode, silent shutter mode, single shot, and the images are on both cards. As part of our back up protocol, we remove the CF card to take to the studio and leave the SD card in the camera, and you can see the corrupt image on the back of the camera before card was removed from camera so the issue isn't with our import process or computer.

Has anyone else had this happen and if so, what was the remedy, other than switch to Nikon? 😄

Thanks a ton for your perspective

Ron

Sample images

I would suspect that the issue is in the use of MRAW.  

I don't believe Nikon has an equivelent to MRAW, so switching to Nikon, instead of simply shooting RAW would be a silly solution.

TTMartin, thanks for the reply, that may be a possibility but we switched to MRAW this year and previous issues were shot in RAW.

@ronrandle wrote:
TTMartin, thanks for the reply, that may be a possibility but we switched to MRAW this year and previous issues were shot in RAW.

From your research has anyone experienced the issue shooting RAW + JPG? 

It seems to happen in RAW and MRAW. We do our culling in PhotoMechanic and the embedded jpg previews are also affected.

@ronrandle wrote:
It seems to happen in RAW and MRAW. We do our culling in PhotoMechanic and the embedded jpg previews are also affected.

The reason I suggested RAW + JPG, since you thought it was a processing error, having it produce a full JPG image at the time of shooting, might involve different processing of the image and be a work around. 

I prefer to have a duplicate RAW of each image rather than a RAW + JPG, so no JPG's here. I believe RAW to both cards is also the fastest way to write to two cards.
Announcements