cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D mark iii overexposure

hutchijr
Apprentice

Shooting in manual, the first 10-15 pictures in a session are overexposed by as much as 3 stops. I am using the 24-70mm 1.4 L IS USM lens.  If I switch to automatic the exposure is fine. Using evaluative metering.

The exposure slowly gets better until after 15 shots the metering is correct. I assume something is having to "loosen up".

Anyone had this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Do you have another lens? It looks like it is not stopping down.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Do you have another lens? It looks like it is not stopping down.

Tried another lens and some more rigorous tracking. It appears that lens is not getting all the way to f22. Shooting in auto it doesn't go to f22 in normal lighting. Because it worked in auto but not manual I thought it was the body. An older lens about the same range worked fine in auto and manual, including down to f22.

Thanks for spurring me on to test the lens.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@hutchijr wrote:

Shooting in manual, the first 10-15 pictures in a session are overexposed by as much as 3 stops. I am using the 24-70mm 1.4 L IS USM lens.  If I switch to automatic the exposure is fine. Using evaluative metering.

The exposure slowly gets better until after 15 shots the metering is correct. I assume something is having to "loosen up".

Anyone had this issue?

If “switch to automatic” means [switching] from Manual to another shooting mode, then there is nothing wrong with your gear.  So, please do not hate me when I term this is most likely an operator error issue

When you switch your lens lens to manual, the photographer is now totally responsible for all focusing.  When you switch to manual exposure, the photographer is in control of everything related to exposure.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I am using the 24-70mm 1.4 L IS USM lens. 

I am curious. What lens are you using? I have to agree with the above post so don't hate me either. Most of the time a camera/lens does exactly what we tell them to do. Otherwise perhaps it is time to send the Mk 3 in for a C&C by Canon service. I would also send the lens whatever it is an a Canon brand.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements