cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SL3 Power Adapter Question

Birdkage56
Apprentice

Hello, I have a power adapter for my SL3, and I have a question regarding power. I'm wanting to use a smart plug to power the camera on and off because the camera isn't easily reachable, but I'm not sure if that will damage the camera. Basically, what I'm asking is: is it okay to cut power to the camera suddenly?

Best regards

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I don't know of any other way. Unplug manually or turn the camera switch - it's either on or off - so I do not think there should be any problem.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I think you're going to find it won't work as you'd expect.  When turning the camera off/on using it's power switch, it does more work than a typical on/off switch.  e.g. it will perform the sensor cleaning task.

So if you turn your camera on with its switch and then plug it into a switchable outlet and kill the power, you'd skip the sensor cleaning step and other power-down logic the camera would have performed.   Turning the switchable outlet back on would most likely leave the camera in a state where you'd have to physically go up to it and and interact with buttons to wake it up.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Correct about the sensor clean, but if I have my camera awake and pull the battery it is the same effect. Putting the battery back in wakes the camera. 
Since OP can’t reach camera I am guessing he would be using a remote to operate camera. 
But, since it’s AC power I wouldn’t switch off. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements