cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark iv error messages w/Apple & Adobe

kkubitz
Apprentice

I don't know if anyone is having the same problem I am. When I download raw files to my Macbook pro and open them with Preview or PS CC I receive two error messages: "Preview currently does not support this raw file format." and "If you are attempting to open a raw file from a digital camera, make sure you have the latest camera raw updates installed." All of my software is completely up to date.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kurt

19 REPLIES 19

diverhank
Authority

Right now to process RAW for the 5D Mark IV, you need to use the Canon DPP and convert the file to TIFF or some other formats for use with Photoshop.  As with any new cameras, it will take Adobe a short while to update their RAW editor to recognize the new camera.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Thanks, that worked.

@diverhank wrote:

Right now to process RAW for the 5D Mark IV, you need to use the Canon DPP and convert the file to TIFF or some other formats for use with Photoshop.  As with any new cameras, it will take Adobe a short while to update their RAW editor to recognize the new camera.

I note that the latest version of Photo Mechanic 5 can also read the Mk IV raw images and convert them to TIFFs.

The latest release of Lightroom CC 2015 (6.7?) released a day or two ago supports the new 5D iv RAW format.

However, it's doesn't support dual pixel - for those images you have to use Canon DPP.

Does anyone actually use Canon supplied software, as opposed to Lightroom/Photoshop? IMHO, Canon should drop DPP and other software development completely - Canon makes good cameras, great lenses and dreadful softare - and instead work very closely with Adobe (primarily) to ensure that new Adobe releases promptly support such features, through plug-ins if necessary.

"Does anyone actually use Canon supplied software, as opposed to Lightroom/Photoshop?"

No.  Smiley Happy  I mean pros don't. I never run in to a, makes a living with his camera person, that did.

"IMHO, Canon should drop DPP and other software development completely" 

Or contract a real software company to create some.

"Canon makes good cameras, great lenses and dreadful softare..."

Actually it has gone from "dreadful" to poor with DPP4.  It doesn't even support all the cameras Canon itself makes! What?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Does anyone actually use Canon supplied software, as opposed to Lightroom/Photoshop?"

No.  Smiley Happy  I mean pros don't. I never run in to a, makes a living with his camera person, that did.

"IMHO, Canon should drop DPP and other software development completely" 

Or contract a real software company to create some.

"Canon makes good cameras, great lenses and dreadful softare..."

Actually it has gone from "dreadful" to poor with DPP4.  It doesn't even support all the cameras Canon itself makes! What?

You now have to go back pretty far to find the ones that DPP4 doesn't support (which doesn't mean that it shouldn't support those). And it's perfectly evident that DPP4 supports Canon's new cameras before any Adobe software does.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

B from B,

"Canon's new cameras before any Adobe software does."

Gee, do ya think?  I would certainly hope so. If that's the best you can say for DPP, it really is telling.  Remember, Adobe has to do this on there own

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Remember, Adobe has to do this on there [sic] own

Get over that notion. Camera manufacturers provide file specs to Adobe and other makers of image-processing software. Failure to do so would not be in the camera manufacturers' interests; This because Canon does not consider DPP &c. to be competitors of Lr and Photoshop.

Not so the hardware. Profoto revealed that they had to reverse-engineer Canon's ST-E3-RT Speedlite Radio Remote in order to make the Profoto Air Remote TTL-C ("C" as in "Canon") to provide TTL remote control for the Profoto B1 and other Profoto studio flashes. Ditto the Nikon (TTL-N) version.

Do you work for Adobe? Do you have inside knowledge?

While the .cr2 file specs are well known, each camera must be profiled since they all have slightly different colors and profiles.

Announcements