cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark IV raw files not keeping the original size

flogarzoli
Contributor

I have a 5D Mark IV, and selected RAW image quality 6720x4480, no JPG only RAW. However, when I download the photos to my computer, the image size obtained is always 1344x2016 300dpi resolution. This did not happen before, I used to see the images in the selected size. I did not make any changes to my camera, computer or software. Thank you for your help!

13 REPLIES 13

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I am not really sure whether Adobe assigns the arbitrary 72 DPI or Canon does. I use Photoshop/Lightroom 95% of the time so I don't know how other editors interpet. The bottom line is all photos you shoot from your camera are at full resolution and in Raw format. DPI is a printer spec it has nothing to do with your camera photos.  The only thing that matters is the number of pixels.

Let's say you have a photo that is 800 x 1000 pixels. Now you print that photo to 8″×10″. You now have 100 DPI. 800 pixels divided by 8 inches equals 100 DPI. You now print a 24″×30″ so it is now 33 DPI. But the number pixels don’t change. DPI does not matter for your photos.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

flogarzoli
Contributor

I figured it out! There is a checkbox that was marked in camera raw preferences that when you opened the file it would reduce it automatically.  I didn’t know that was active I will send screenshots. 

Good job figuring it out. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Would you please show me what you did?  I'm having the same problem.  I don't know where camera raw preferences are located... Thanks.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements