cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark IV raw files not keeping the original size

flogarzoli
Contributor

I have a 5D Mark IV, and selected RAW image quality 6720x4480, no JPG only RAW. However, when I download the photos to my computer, the image size obtained is always 1344x2016 300dpi resolution. This did not happen before, I used to see the images in the selected size. I did not make any changes to my camera, computer or software. Thank you for your help!

12 REPLIES 12

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

What software are you using? What operating system? Can you post a screenshot of display that shows the info?

What is the file size shown in the folder where the image is located?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you. I am using a Mac OS Monterey 12.3.1 and Photoshop CC v 23.3.1. Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 5.33.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-05 at 5.31.38 PM.pngIMG_1637.JPG

It looks like there is some sort of resizing going on.

Screenshot 2022-05-05 183753.jpg

Not sure what software is showing, but the image size in the software is ~1300 pixels, compatible with the Image Size window at 1344.

What software is it? Edit - Just saw it was Ps. Let me try a file on my MacBook.

Have you cropped the image? Maybe inadvertently turned on cropping in camera?

I can get a display similar to yours when I crop the image in Ps.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I did not crop the picture, that is the original CR2 and I am viewing it in photoshop CC in my Mac. This is happening with every single CR2 I open. I can't figure out what is wrong.

Try resetting Photoshop preferences:

How To Reset Photoshop Preferences (photoshopessentials.com)

Also, you could download Canon Digital Photo Professional from the Canon support site and see how DPP opens the files (to see if it is a Ps problem).

Also, if you post that RAW file on Dropbox or One Drive I will open it and see if I can figure out what is happening.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank you. I will give it a try 

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

300 dpi is just a red herring. I believe that Canon usually uses 72 dpi, but it really does not matter, especially for a RAW.

It sounds like you are just getting the embedded preview, not the raw file.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Actually there is a placeholder for a number. Canon fills it with 72. It is meaningless. No matter what file size or format you select in your camera, large raw, to small jpg or anywhere in between, the camera captures at full resolution. Every shot is made at full res! It is when you tell the camera how you want it saved that something happens. 

When you copy or u/l to your computer you are using that saved file. It is transferred at that exact size. The only place any size change can happen is in your photo viewer or photo editor software. And, that is unlikely.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I never knew a RAW file could have DPI in its EXIF.  Maybe I have never noticed it.  If RAW and JPG files use the same EXIF format, I suppose a RAW file could have a DPI field.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements