cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D IV becomes unresponsive with CamRanger, remote shutter release

disc_count
Contributor

I've had this 5D MK IV w/C LOG for years and always thought this was a limitation of the camera: whenever I had my CamRanger plugged in, I couldn't change any of the settings on the camera or get a response from any of the buttons/controls and the screen would go blank. The only way to restore control over these functions again was to unplug the CamRanger and then the camera would unlock to normal functionality. Recently I bought a remote shutter release and it did the same thing with the 5D IV. I sent the shutter release back thinking it was defective, then remembered having the same issue with the CamRanger. Today I tried the CamRanger with my R6 as a test, and it worked flawlessly. The screen and all the settings were able to be changed on the R6 screen and physical buttons and would update in real time on the CamRanger and vice versa. While I no longer have the remote shutter release to test on the R6, I am convinced that this is only an issue with my 5D IV. Is there a setting that could be affecting this or does this indicate something that is a larger issue with the camera like ports, etc? 

8 REPLIES 8

disc_count
Contributor

Spent some time on the phone with Canon support this morning. After upgrading to the newest firmware on the 5D IV, the problem continued. It seems to be a limitation of the firmware when the mirror is up AKA live view (the LCD shows a flashing "BUSY" error when buttons/dials are changed on the camera body. Tested my 7D as well and it worked the same as the 5D IV – the common denominator between the two being the mirror. With the R6 I am assuming Canon unlocked this functionality (since there is no mirror and it's always in "live view") and that's why it works on the R6 as I would expect it to work on any camera. This is not 100% confirmed so if there is a solution that someone knows for the 5D IV and 7D etc., please share.

It is not clear tome what CamRanger product(s) you are using.  When Canon DSLRs are in communication with the EOS Utility using a USB cable to a PC, then pressing any buttons on the camera will cause the “BUSY” error message to appear.  I do not know why this response would be unique to DSLRs.  Camera control has been established remotely, and all local control buttons on the camera are disabled.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Using the original CamRanger. When connected to R6 it doesn't lock up the camera controls but it does with the 5D IV and 7D. 

“I’ve had this 5D MK IV w/C LOG for years and always thought this was a limitation of the camera: whenever I had my CamRanger plugged in, I couldn't change any of the settings on the camera or get a response from any of the buttons/controls and the screen would go blank. The only way to restore control over these functions again was to unplug the CamRanger and then the camera would unlock to normal functionality.”

Like I said, this is the “normal” behavior whenever DSLRs are in a remote shooting mode.  Stop pressing the buttons.

Let me rephrase the question: why does it work on the R6 and not the other cameras? If you don't know, don't respond. Thanks.

@disc_count wrote:

Let me rephrase the question: why does it work on the R6 and not the other cameras? If you don't know, don't respond. Thanks.

Don’t know.  Contact CamRanger.  Their products are [NOT] listed as being compatible with all Canon models. 

What type of connection are you making to the camera?  USB cable?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I am going to bow out of this thread.  I advise you to contact CamRanger.  The EOS 5D Mark IV is not listed as being compatible with CamRanger.

E71F540D-87C3-4F99-BE05-DB2AFC11E400.jpeg

That's the CamRanger Mini. Different than the original CamRanger (as I specified above), however that is moot because...

This also happened with a wireless remote from Vello that listed the 5D IV as compatible.

I told that to the Canon tech support agent. We deduced that the only thing that would be different from the 5D IV and the R6 was either settings (we didn't know of any that would change this) or the design of the cameras.

Thanks bye!

Announcements