cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50D "freezing" when using an external shutter release..

wreklund
Apprentice

Hello photo friends. I have developed an issue with my 50D. I shoot exclusively landscape photography,(large f-stops, long shutter speeds) and use an external shutter release most of the time. However, recently, after a few exposures, my camera "freezes" as though the shutter button is being pushed half-way. From this point, non of my camera functions will work. I can't meter, take a picture, auto focus, nothing. If I remove the external release, the camera functions normally.

My first inclination was a faulty release. I've tried 3 different releases, all new, each of a different design and from different manufacturers. Still, after the first few exposures, my camera stops working and I have to remove the external release and fire the shutter by hand with the shutter button on the camera.

Has anyone out there experienced this before??

4 REPLIES 4

hsbn
Whiz

are you using third party Intervalometer shutter release? or just a regular shutter release? I experienced this problem with an intervalometer shutter release but not with a regular one. Another thing, check your mirror lock up also.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

My shutter release cable has a "lock open" feature that is easy to trip accidentally. There is a button you press to activate the shutter, of course, but if you slide he button backwards a little when you are pushing it ( whether intentionally or accidentally) it stays pressed until you unlock it.

Could that possibly be it?
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Hey Scott...

My new release does have that same feature and may well have been what happened this time. I was experimenting with the camera and release yesterday and it seemed to function flawlessly. However, I did experience exactly what you mentioned with the lock feature. I inadvertently tripped the lock feature while using it.(very touchy)

My next serious photo shoot should tell the story...

It is very easy to trigger. I hope this is an easy solution.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements