cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash pops up in many modes?

jaymack
Enthusiast

Very new to DSLR's, experienced with hefty HD video cams for pro work. I have a 60D and am learning it, but can't understand why the flash pops up in shade on many auto modes, sometimes flashes and some times just pops up. I also notice that camera can't focus in shade at all. Is this my error? btw it works perfectly in CU mode even though red dots say it's not focused.

Every auto mode has red dots - where did the green ones go?

What am I doing wrong - or is it the camera? I have a Nikon point/shoot that takes perfect pics of the same subject with no flash, but it has a 1.8 lens, don't know if that matters.

Should I just raise the ISO (I still say ASA personally)?

thanks for any revelations...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well you've got me buy a few years & I never made a living using my cameras but I have been published many times both in the film days & right now. Once you get a handle on digital (the camera functions & controls) I doubt you'd want to shoot either a Nikon or Canon film camera built in the 90's including the top of the line bodies UNLESS you're out in the extreme cold with a body modified for it.

The same applies to darkroom work, which is SO much easier on screen than in a developing tube. You might need to take some on line lessons but the end result is very rewarding & you don't have to wait to see if a 2 second longer exposure to your enlarger gave you what you wanted on your photo paper. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

cicopo
Elite

I often say ASA too. When you say Auto modes we'll need more info re which one(s). I strongly recommend Program over Auto until you learn to use the Tv, Av or M mode but you may also be onto something when thinking about raising the ISO (ASA).

If you aren't getting good results with an Auto mode try Program + learn how Exposure Compensation / Flash Exposure Compensation works & fine tune as necessary when shooting. (they also work in Tv & Av).

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Agree with Ciccopo about using Tv, Av and M modes.

The camera may have significant trouble auto focusing in light you don't think of as terribly dim. The flash may pop up to do micro flashes to help out the autofocus. Sometimes it works and sometimes you feel a little silly standing there with the shutter button depressed but the camera just making a small lightning storm of test flashes and buzzing sounds.

You can go to menu and turn flash off if it bothers you and there may be a "no flash" auto mode on your mode dial' or you could just go to Tv or Av or M.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I finally discovered the P mode, which doesn't use the flash, at least not my shots. But I still get red dots for shots in sun, shade and everywhere? When I use the LCD screen I get green squares which I assume are good. What's with the red dots?

The red dots in the viewfinder?  Those are the autofocus points.

Think I got it, but not with the manual which isn't very clear (at least to me). Instead I went to Youtube where I learned about the red dots and how to set my focus. It took 1 minute, I must have poured over the manual for 10 minutes and still didn't understand. Also learned about the reasoning of the blue buttons and the white ones, all in that same minute.

Got my ancient Nikon manual out a few days ago... 12 pages. With photos.

Well I have studied the Canon manuals for roughly 9 years & think they have improved big time since my 20D. I have spent a lot of time learning the features as they got added to newer bodies so it's much easier than starting from scratch, and trust me when I say the 60D has many features you'll need to learn to benefit from your purchase if you want to get more out of it, BUT many are quite happy with the basics Program mode provides. Just so you know my Nikon D7100 manual has 384 pages & as a long time Canon shooter the terms are different & it requires more user fine tuning than a Canon body. It's a very nice camera but the lenses available can't meet my needs so it's not going to replace any of my Canon equipment but will see some around the house / garage / travel use.  

I was never really good at manuals, I learned how to shoot TV news by spending a year just processing film and sneaking a camera and film out  and learned from the pros and was shooting news the 2nd year on the mean streets of Detroit circa 1973. Same as 35mm Nikons, no real education but you learn on the streets pretty quick. Even ended up as a finalist in the 1976 Academy awards.

But now, digital, I do like it and finally reached over to the 60d, so it's going to be an interesting trip.

Well you've got me buy a few years & I never made a living using my cameras but I have been published many times both in the film days & right now. Once you get a handle on digital (the camera functions & controls) I doubt you'd want to shoot either a Nikon or Canon film camera built in the 90's including the top of the line bodies UNLESS you're out in the extreme cold with a body modified for it.

The same applies to darkroom work, which is SO much easier on screen than in a developing tube. You might need to take some on line lessons but the end result is very rewarding & you don't have to wait to see if a 2 second longer exposure to your enlarger gave you what you wanted on your photo paper. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements