cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2500 dollars to spend. Help me make a poor financial decision - Camera upgrade advice

mmega
Apprentice

I mostly shoot my kids' sports (high school soccer, so I need outdoor and night under lights)

Current rig- Canon 1DX (16 y.o.) and a Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3 and a Tamron 70-200 f2.8

I have gotten a bonus of 2500 and have earmarked it for an upgrade. Which of the following packages would be best? I only really shoot sports.

Package A:

Canon R6 mark ii (new) + lens adapter+ grip=2500

or

Package B

Canon 1dx mark iii (used)

I want sharpness and lowlight with high fps. I am not getting new glass.

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The R6 mark II with a Canon battery grip and Canon control ring adapter.

[EDIT] Do not expect third party lenses to be fully compatible with the advanced focusing and tracking features from the Dual Pixel AF II image sensor.  Your lenses may not keep up with the highest frame rates.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TomRamsey
Contributor

Package A has newer technology which includes autofocus improvements.  Package A weighs a lot less and is physically much smaller.  Package A is a new camera with a warranty, Package B is a used camera, it may have a warranty but it also has mileage.  I have little experience with the R6 Marl II and none with the 1dx mark iii, but I’m always an advocate of buying the newest technology that you can afford.  I feel the R6ii has the autofocus abilities and smaller size that would benefit shooting sports.

CinBrandon
Contributor

Package A. 
I love my R6 and R6ii. You could wait in the battery grip, your choice. 
 Take a look at the R8 as well, compare it and see if it has the features you need. 

the eye tracking of the R6 is great for shooting kids sports. (I have not used an R8). I take pics of youth baseball. With eye tracking, I get way more in focus images and thus take less photos to cull thru later. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@mmega wrote:

I mostly shoot my kids' sports (high school soccer, so I need outdoor and night under lights)

Current rig- Canon 1DX (16 y.o.) and a Tamron 150-600 f5-6.3 and a Tamron 70-200 f2.8

I have gotten a bonus of 2500 and have earmarked it for an upgrade. Which of the following packages would be best? I only really shoot sports.

Package A:

Canon R6 mark ii (new) + lens adapter+ grip=2500

or

Package B

Canon 1dx mark iii (used)

I want sharpness and lowlight with high fps. I am not getting new glass.

Welcome.

If you have had the 1D X since new and don't plan on getting new lenses for a while (or maybe never) I suggest you seriously consider the 1D X Mk III. 

If the above is true you know the capability of your lens/camera combinations. You have muscle memory. There will be no potential conflict between lens and camera. the 1D X improves markedly on all aspects of the 1D X.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic
click here to view the gallery
Announcements