cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20D and 50D write speeds

JimP
Contributor

Is there a write speed limitation on the 20D which limits the usable speed of compact flash cards?  In other words, is there any reason to buy a new super fast cf card?   And the same question applies for the 50D.  I use a 50D as my main camera, but have a 20D as a backup.  I shoot fast moving subjects in burst mode.

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I don't have an exact answer because I am not familiar with when those cameras were released.  Your question reminds of when people ask about putting the newer, higher octance gasolines into their older cars, way back during tghe octane war days between one gasoline brand and the next..  My answer had always been to point out that the car was designed to use the gasoline that was being produced at the time the car was produced.

Similarly, the best speed cards to use would be the ones that were on the market when the camera was released.  Not the latest and greatest, but the cards that had been around during the design phase of the camera.  I would conclude that you would not gain any advantage by using the latest, super fast SD card.  Go with what works.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle, that was not useful at all. As it turns out 50D performance was upgradable, and by the way, neither of these cameras uses SD cards.

@JimP wrote:
Waddizzle, that was not useful at all. As it turns out 50D performance was upgradable, and by the way, neither of these cameras uses SD cards.

Well, his conclusion was correct. You wouldn't have gained anything by using the latest superfast SD cards.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@JimP wrote:

Well, his conclusion was correct. You wouldn't have gained anything by using the latest superfast SD cards.

That is true!  Just not much help.   Smiley Wink

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@JimP wrote:

Is there a write speed limitation on the 20D which limits the usable speed of compact flash cards?  In other words, is there any reason to buy a new super fast cf card?   And the same question applies for the 50D.  I use a 50D as my main camera, but have a 20D as a backup.  I shoot fast moving subjects in burst mode.

The 50D's last firmware update made it compatible with the UDMA 7 standard. Meaning, yes it will benefit from the latest fastest cards.

Canon has released a firmware update for the EOS 50D.

Firmware Version 1.0.9 incorporates the following changes.

1. Optimizes the camera’s performance when using certain UDMA 7-compatible CF cards released in February 2012 or later.
  2. Corrects wording in the Dutch language menu screen.

Thank you very much, TTMartin. The updated 50D firmware has improved write speed capability.  Mine was out of date. Your link was just what I needed.

Peter
Authority
Authority
50D has a write speed of 70 MB/s. 20D I don't know.

Thank you Peter, that helped.

Announcements