cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 day old Canon Rebel T5 90% of the time its stuck in focusing mode in iA .wont take pic

awilmot2003
Apprentice

even when I am pushing all the way down after pushing halfway down it just won't stop focusing and take the picture.especially indoors   I find this extremely frustrating.it also says BUSY all the time.
I have tried other setting's but it does the same thing,

is this brand new camera broken? should

should I return to Costco and get another one. can't take pictures unless outside

Help my first DSLR and so far I'm extremely discouraged

prior was Panasonic LUMIX FZ70 No problems with that 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@awilmot2003 wrote:

even when I am pushing all the way down after pushing halfway down it just won't stop focusing and take the picture.especially indoors   I find this extremely frustrating.it also says BUSY all the time.

should I return to Costco and get another one. can't take pictures unless outside

BUSY is most commonly caused by an SD card issue. 

AIservo is supposed to focus all the time.

What mode are you using on the camera?

What happens in Green Square mode?

View solution in original post

amfoto1
Authority

The first of three, good, half-hour videos all about the Canon AF system can be found here: https://vimeo.com/36931479

It is far, far more likely that you've set something wrong or are using the camera incorrectly, than there's an actual fault with the camrea or lens. Getting frustrated and just wildly trying different settings may make things worse.

Watch that video and refer to the camera user manual.

Flashing BUSY all the time may indicate an issue with the memory card.... It also may be that the AF is struggling to lock onto something in too low light (or set up wrong). The camera is probably set to prevent shutter release if focus hasn't been achieved. That will likely cause the AF points to flash red. Or, it might be that the light is so low that it's not enough for an exposure, in which case the readout in the viewfinder will flash a warning.

There are guide books available, too, that expand upon what's in the manual and can be quite helpful when learning to use a new camera. I always make a point of getting at least one of those guides whenever I get a new camera, to learn to use it well as quickly and easily as possible. I've bought and can recommend books by David Busch, Charlotte Lowrie and Michael Guncheon, but there are likely some others that are excellent too (check the feedback on Amazon).

Sure. It is possible something is wrong with the camera... but is really far more lilkely that it's something simple set up incorrectly or not being used properly, that's causing the problem.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

awilmot2003
Apprentice
oh forgot to ask i wanted to watch your videos you posted on focusing the rebel T5 but they are set to private ;-/

This sounds like something that could happen if the light level is too low for AF to work. The fact that it's OK outdoors points in that direction. Are you using flash; and if so, is the autofocus assist beam turned on? (Does the built-in flash on a T5 even have an AF assist beam?) What lens are you using? Put the camera on a tripod and try a very slow shutter speed. Does that make it work better? How does it work in a brightly lit room?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@awilmot2003 wrote:

BUSY is most commonly caused by an SD card issue. 

AIservo is supposed to focus all the time.

What mode are you using on the camera?

What happens in Green Square mode?

amfoto1
Authority

The first of three, good, half-hour videos all about the Canon AF system can be found here: https://vimeo.com/36931479

It is far, far more likely that you've set something wrong or are using the camera incorrectly, than there's an actual fault with the camrea or lens. Getting frustrated and just wildly trying different settings may make things worse.

Watch that video and refer to the camera user manual.

Flashing BUSY all the time may indicate an issue with the memory card.... It also may be that the AF is struggling to lock onto something in too low light (or set up wrong). The camera is probably set to prevent shutter release if focus hasn't been achieved. That will likely cause the AF points to flash red. Or, it might be that the light is so low that it's not enough for an exposure, in which case the readout in the viewfinder will flash a warning.

There are guide books available, too, that expand upon what's in the manual and can be quite helpful when learning to use a new camera. I always make a point of getting at least one of those guides whenever I get a new camera, to learn to use it well as quickly and easily as possible. I've bought and can recommend books by David Busch, Charlotte Lowrie and Michael Guncheon, but there are likely some others that are excellent too (check the feedback on Amazon).

Sure. It is possible something is wrong with the camera... but is really far more lilkely that it's something simple set up incorrectly or not being used properly, that's causing the problem.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

Announcements