cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Broken Canons in 1 Month

Lorry77
Contributor
Literally want to cry. My 80D of less than a year’s audio stopped working (stopped using my external mic so no audio was recorded along with video ) and had a 3 year warranty so I sent it in to Canon to get repaired . While it was gone I needed a camera because YouTube is my job and I (stupidly in retrospect) bought a Canon R6 with all the bells and whistles it was $3,400!!. Well guess what ?
I get my 80D back and the same day; the audio jack on my New R6 stops working !! No audio on any videos
But wait it gets better
So I’m thinking “ok at least I have my 80D to back me up while the R6 is being repaired “ nope ! As of an hour ago the 80D audio is no longer working either .
I’m gutted . Any suggestions? Heard of this happening to others ? Over 5,500 k spent on New canons with nothing to show for it .
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lorry77
Contributor
I just want to thank everyone who answered ! You all were right it was something to do with my saramonic lapel mic frequency and not the cameras ! I got a basic ($150 usd model) Rode Shotgun mic and it works fine with both cameras. To say I’m relieved would be an understatement; thank you again as if not for your answers both cameras would be on their way to Canon repair now : )

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

More information needed; what exactly are you using for external audio and how is it all connected?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Lorry77
Contributor
I’m using a saramonic lapel mic system so the receiver is connected to the camera’s audio jack .

Greetings,

If the MIC or 3rd party product I was plugging into my camera(s) caused 2 to fail in a row, I might consider a different brand or it as culprit. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@Lorry77 wrote:
I’m using a saramonic lapel mic system so the receiver is connected to the camera’s audio jack .

The MIC input on the camera is looking for a low level mic signal.  You need to check the output level of your receiver.  Make sure that it is not putting out a high level output, line level signal.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Lorry77
Contributor
I’m going to try and see if I can get a different mic and see if my camera / cameras will work differently with it today otherwise both with will be sent out for repair : (

Lorry77
Contributor
Thank you to all

@Waddizzle ; I’m not sure how to check the levels the receiver is just a tiny thing that sits on top of my camera

@Shadowsportas; I’m going to try and see if I can get a different mic and see if my camera / cameras will work differently with it today otherwise both with will be sent out for repair : (

@Lorry77 wrote:
Thank you to all

@Waddizzle ; I’m not sure how to check the levels the receiver is just a tiny thing that sits on top of my camera

Alll you need to do is check the written specifications for the receiver, an bone up on the different types of audio signals.

Gald to see that you go the issue resolved with a simple fix.  I suspect the problem was a signal level mismatch.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I would suspect that the audio would distort if the level was high enough to blow out the camera. The issue appears to be a radio reception problem, not a camera problem.

Lorry77
Contributor
I just want to thank everyone who answered ! You all were right it was something to do with my saramonic lapel mic frequency and not the cameras ! I got a basic ($150 usd model) Rode Shotgun mic and it works fine with both cameras. To say I’m relieved would be an understatement; thank you again as if not for your answers both cameras would be on their way to Canon repair now : )
Announcements