cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18-55mm kit lens for my T3i

sonnysuarez
Contributor

My kit lens 18-55mm for my T3i doesn't auto focus anymore just after using only for a year. Can this still be repaired?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

If you are sure it is broken, I would  not bother getting it repaired as you can buy a good used one for less than a repair cost.

If you decide to buy one, try to get the latest "STM" version as it is a really nice improvement over the older versions.  At very least make sure you get the "IS"  or "IS II" version as they have Image Stabiliztion and better optics than the older versions without IS.

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Did you check the MF-AF switch on the side of the lens, by chance?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes, ebiggs1, when I noticed that the auto focus wasn't working I switch to MF and back to AF but still the auto focus does not work. I'm using now the MF but I had a hard time getting a perfect focus by manual.

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

If you are sure it is broken, I would  not bother getting it repaired as you can buy a good used one for less than a repair cost.

If you decide to buy one, try to get the latest "STM" version as it is a really nice improvement over the older versions.  At very least make sure you get the "IS"  or "IS II" version as they have Image Stabiliztion and better optics than the older versions without IS.

Mike Sowsun

Thank you MikeSowsun for your idea. My existing kit lens is the "IS ll version". I will try to look for a used one which is a "STM" version already.

This lens is not a real good candidate to buy used. It is cheap and that is why it is cheap!

Becarefull or you might just end up with another "parts" lens. Check it out thoroughly first.

Might be a good excuse to upgrade you outfit.  

EB

If you have seriously caught the photography "bug", then now might be a good time to invest in some more expensive lenses. But it if you are still a novice not, looking to spend a lot of money, then replacing your 18-55 with another IS II, or IS STM version would be an excellent choice. 

There are many for sale in like new condition for $100, or sometimes even less. This is because many people buy a new camera with the "Kit" lens and then sell it  basically unused.  It is cheap because Canon only charges about $100 extra if you buy the camera and lens over just the body. 

Even though this lens cheap to buy, it is optically excellent, and you would have to pay at least 10 times more to get anything substantially better as far as image quality goes. 

The new 18-55mm STM version has incredibly fast, accurate, and silent Auto Focus, and is said to be even sharper than the older IS or IS II. It has the added benefits of a non-rotating front element for easier Polarizing filter use, and a nice "petal" hood is available for it as well. The new focus ring is a nice touch and it also allows Full Time Manual focus. 

New EF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS STM with EW-63C lens hood 

5D3_0892a.jpg

5D3_0893a.jpg

5D3_0896aa.jpg

5D3_0898a.jpg

Mike Sowsun

Yes MikeSowsun, I'm still a novice in photography and I'm not ready yet to invest in some more expensive lenses, though it is my earnest desire to acquire some someday. Thank you so much for highlighting the features of the IS STM version of the 18-55mm lens, it made my decision to acquire this IS STM version final. Again thank you very much!

"I'm still a novice in photography and I'm not ready yet to invest in some more expensive lenses."

In this case, and you are not into videos, you don't need the STM version.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I'm still a novice in photography and I'm not ready yet to invest in some more expensive lenses."

In this case, and you are not into videos, you don't need the STM version.

The STM still has advantages.  

When using it for still photography, it's still a faster focus system with full-time manual focus override available.  That's especially nice if you're shooting action because the lens can focus on the action before the action moves to a new focus distance.  

The optics on the STM versions of these lenses are improved a bit over the non-STM version.

Lastly, the STM versions have inner-focus so the end of the lens does not physically rotate like it does on the non-STM version.  This is especially nice when using a polarizer -- you don't have to keep reaching forward to re-tune the polarization angle each time the focus is adjusted.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements